Leak, passenger front side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a part missing on the sweeper gasket, where glass goes down into door. I guess GM calls it window belt outer...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it apart last night. Here are the pictures. Does anyone know if this is broken or missing parts? If you look at the second picture, you see the shop manual diagram, that shows installation of the belt. There seems to be a gasket that curves up. Could not see this on this piece.

Attachments

• IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4150.jpg
    IMG_4150.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4152.jpg
    IMG_4152.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone? Debating to just add dab of caulk at each end, or buy a new belt...

jfoj

Reaction score
Cannot tell from your pictures, however, every car I have ever worked on has the inner vapor barrier sealed to the actual door with some sort of sealer, sometimes single use sealer.

Here is what you must understand, water will get past the gaskets and into the door, this is "normal". The water will drip down in the door and will also stick to/run along the wiring, the door frame and window lift mechanism.

I have never had a door apart on my GMC, but my guess is the vapor barrier should be sealed to keep water from leaking between the vapor barrier and insider door skin. The Bose speaker may be sealed or have a gasket that seals in the opening as well.

If it was my truck, I would at least pop the drivers door panel at the bottom and peak up around the vapor barrier and speaker to see what it anything is sealed on this side.

Maybe the door was replaced on your truck, maybe the guy on the assembly line forgot to seal the vapor barrier and/or speaker?

Again, I have never seen any car or truck that the vapor barrier was not sealed in some way to the inner door skin.

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the Headliner have watermark?

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this very same problem on my old 03 Yukon. I finally cut a little piece off the lower weather stripping on the door sill itself. your water problem is a result of the weather stripping acting like a gutter and holding the water there. it overflows and leaks into the truck under the plastic sill that is snapped in place. Just cut a small 1/8 inch notch at the weather strip that will allow the water to flow out and not pool over inside your interior.

Mr. 960

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are holes under the weather stripping at the very bottom of the door that the water is supposed to exit from and not go into the truck. The vapor barrier is important and must be there. There is a gasket at the top of the window edge that can easily be out on backwards and the door panel will still go on. This may have happened prior to your ownership and not the gasket doesn't have true form and let's too much water in.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got the new belt. It is a 1/4" longer than the one that was on the truck. Other than that, it is equal. I have to check length on driver side. Hope to do this tomorrow.

Mr. 960, where exactly is the notch to be cut?

I need to recaulk the vapor barrier. But issue I have is clearly at front and rear of exterior window belt allowing too much water in at front and rear of door. But especially at front where water falls on harness and slides down to opening in vapor barrier (see pictures above).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New part (belt) installed

So the 1/4" seems to make a huge difference in that part fits under the mirror assembly. Hopefully that will fix my worse leak. But at the rear, the new part seems to have a notch i had not noticed when i first got it. See picture. Does anyone have this? I guess these little gaps are meant to encourage evaporation when water gets in???

Attachments

• IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear window belt

So I also looked at the other windows. They all seem to have gaps at front and rear. I guess this is normal. I can't imagine that all of these were replaced so it must be OEM.

Attachments

• IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali