Lake Speed Jr, Oil Additives = Snake oil (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick lube shop talked my wife into adding an additive to the CVT of her 30,000 mile civic
1. Is that the name of this quick lube shop? Quick Lube? If not, what's the name? Where?
Might help us out to know ...
2. 'an additive'? Name? If it was a DuraLube additive, it might actually be approved by Honda ...
3. what year, or at least what generation civic?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick lube shop talked my wife into adding an additive to the CVT of her 30,000 mile civic. Don't like it but they did a fluid swap at the same time so at least theres that
My local lube shop added a can of BG quick clean to my '07's transmission before they did the fluid exchange, and before I could stop them. It is what it is.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, and I was a big fan of Sea Foam and Marvels Mystery Oil, the two worse additives according to the video :(

how did you use them?

he used them as benefits to improve fresh oil. I'm not sure I've seen either marketed like that.

the low boil point of. sea foam is what helps it clean the back inside of intake. valves, as it boils when it hits them, doesn't have to be in the cyl.

and marvel, I've only seen people use it as a flush to help break down build up in the oil, not something you'd put into fresh oil long term?

both have their place.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, and I was a big fan of Sea Foam and Marvels Mystery Oil, the two worse additives according to the video :(
how did you use them?
he used them as benefits to improve fresh oil. I'm not sure I've seen either marketed like that.
the low boil point of seafoam is what helps it clean the back inside of intake valves, as it boils when it hits them, doesn't have to be in the cyl.
and marvel, I've only seen people use it as a flush to help break down build up in the oil, not something you'd put into fresh oil long term?
both have their place.
That place is either in the fuel tank, or sucked in through a vacuum line.
Although he did not analyze them for use during the last 15min in the crankcase ...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That place is either in the fuel tank, or sucked in through a vacuum line.
Although he did not analyze them for use during the last 15min in the crankcase ...

sea foam yeah. i use it quite a bit at work for small engines. we have a bunch of Honda on brake fans that sit unused all winter and than randomly need to start on the first or 2nd pull when needed or people freak out. the e in gas is horrible on them. sea foam seems to help. I dump it in car fuel tanks too just for the heck of when I have extra.

I don't know that I'd put the marval in my gas tank thou. but I think people do. I think of that as more of a stort term maybe this will unstick thst lifter type of thing haha. never used it personally thou.

Paul_Kaos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
actually the take away is: moly is real. zddp is real, but only use lucas zddp because its ph balanced with detergents.

also he skipped over things like addable detergents.

ive been using good starting oil and lubramoly for ages. it makes the oil black and Im curious about it in the filter. i was using it in ford motors though with the plastic tensioners where ford now puts graphite in at the shops.

moly is better graphite

but now in LS world, free from vestigel engineering left over from porsche variocam (research THAT its hilarious, all that chainguide crap fords have is because they bought their OHC tech from porsche in the 80s, and it was meant to asjust timing through chain lash. now it doesn't. now it just makes timing a nightmare and requires shit in the oil not to shred plastic wear items in the engine... anywho) and about ro register in a state where I can gut my cats and run a cam, Im considering switching to lucas zddp and liquid mechanic detergent additive (i gotta check Bob's but being detergent specifically it should just he calcium and magnesium in some solvent and a light oil like mmo, it seems that way on the way out the bottle too but only recently discovered it)

hilariously a great oil is gonna have a lot of stuff a good preworkout also should

zinc& phosphorus (zddp) and then the other electrolytes calcium and magnesium to balance the ph...

zinc makes it slippery but acidic

electrolytes make it based but less slippery

its literally the same game with friction modifier packages like lubegaurd when your ******* with ATB (helical) or LSD (clutch) Differentials

*most* additives are snake oil

the ones most people havent heard of, that you can only find at carquest or maybe a cool napa however, are real things...

they have applications and if you just get the mail and buy cereal at walmart hey nah just use good class V synthetic like Mobile1 or GTX (im sus of this lake speed talking good about class IV oils...) and a Purolator synthetics filter (specific for us because the put the dbv in the big filter for us)

but like, I literally drive my shit in the WOT tables of the ECU, i beat the hell out of it, in the desert, a lot of the time *literally* in the desert, so yeah Imma drop some racing oil additive in there or flat out run a racing oil.

i wouldnt use Vaseline in my engine to save my life, but what he saw in the MotoGP oil made me very happy.

Valvoline aint classV base though

i hope Mobil's MotoGp oil is also a cool color

if Im buying race oil its fun for it to look different lols

but besides moly, zinc, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and some esters to condition high mileage nonmetal parts theres nothing going on in oil OR oil additives...

basically his take is "the best cake comes from duncan Hines complete cake mix because I used to work dor duncan hines complete racing cake mix and I do not believe you possess the intellect to read bob is the oil guy and formulate a superior cake using betty crocker base cake mix and more of your own farm fresh eggs, fairlife ultrafiltered milk, and additional whey isolate..."

yes I intentionally butchered that metaphor

you get the point

Paul_Kaos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
tldr: i do watch him, but I also nerd out on bob is the oilguy, which is needed if you wanna play these games. calling all additives bogus because most people dont need them is bogus in and of itself. lake worked in the very bougie already out the box world of lubricants.

i have a hard time taking him seriously when he seems like a pensoil plant too lols...

please talk to me about TRUE synthetic oils lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trackman