Keys with Chips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cessna1466u

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening all, new to the forums and the Yukons. We purchased a 2008 XL about 1 week ago and it only came with 1 set of keys and remote fobs. I went tonight to Lowes to get a duplicate key made and the salesman there tells me it has a chip and he cannot make a copy. Does this sound correct? It is a 2008 Yukon XL. It has remote stare and I remember back in the day when cars had chips you had to hide a key somewere in the steering column to be able to still use the remote start feature. Does this mean that there is a key hidden somewhere? Or did the salesman not know what he was talking about? I see the same keys on eBay for $10 or so and it doesn't say anything about them being chipped. If these are chipped and I have to go through the dealer, any ideas on what they cost more or less?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory remote start is different than an aftermarket setup for starters. Older vehicles that had a chip didn't actually need a key hidden somewhere it just needed the correct resistor placed in line so it thought there was a key. You can pick up blanks with the chip elsewhere and have them cut and programmed. On some gm vehicles you can program the new key following the correct procedure with the original key.

kctyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening all, new to the forums and the Yukons. We purchased a 2008 XL about 1 week ago and it only came with 1 set of keys and remote fobs. I went tonight to Lowes to get a duplicate key made and the salesman there tells me it has a chip and he cannot make a copy. Does this sound correct? It is a 2008 Yukon XL. It has remote stare and I remember back in the day when cars had chips you had to hide a key somewere in the steering column to be able to still use the remote start feature. Does this mean that there is a key hidden somewhere? Or did the salesman not know what he was talking about? I see the same keys on eBay for $10 or so and it doesn't say anything about them being chipped. If these are chipped and I have to go through the dealer, any ideas on what they cost more or less?

Go to another hardware store or a locksmith. The keys have a chip, but they can make them. If you buy one off ebay, make sure you know someone that will cut it. A lot of places will only cut keys bought from them.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the dealership. They made me 2 keys for $18/each. Now, they wanted $180 for the key fob, but thats anothet issue.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts