Key Fob Learning - DIC won't give option to learn - 2013 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Been researching this a lot, ran into a problem I haven't yet seen:

1. Turn key to ON position (tried this both without starting engine and while engine was running - with identical results each way)
2. Press DIC Info button looking for "Learn Key" or whatever the option is - option not given to me, but at least I know I'm at <5k hours operation time....
3. See option "Recalibrate Compass" before list returns to beginning again.

Any ideas of how to do this by myself?

A) The dealer wanted $200 for this 30-second DIY fix.
B) The best local car audio & electronics shop couldn't promise they can help.

I've tired of borrowing my wife's key fob.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been researching this a lot, ran into a problem I haven't yet seen:

1. Turn key to ON position (tried this both without starting engine and while engine was running - with identical results each way)
2. Press DIC Info button looking for "Learn Key" or whatever the option is - option not given to me, but at least I know I'm at <5k hours operation time....
3. See option "Recalibrate Compass" before list returns to beginning again.

Any ideas of how to do this by myself?

A) The dealer wanted $200 for this 30-second DIY fix.
B) The best local car audio & electronics shop couldn't promise they can help.

I've tired of borrowing my wife's key fob.
takes a programmer, be it a tech2 or whatever, buy a fob from boost auto and it comes with a programmer, just be sure to program both the old fob and new fob at the same time or the old one will not work anymore.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My point exactly. 69-$99 for one key fob added or $295 for being able to read and clear codes through the DIC and about $2.5k worth of software technology added that GM held back on. Kind of like when they added BT to our trucks 2 years after its initial introduction.

2748DD8F-7C24-401D-B95B-36C1E9E0CAB8.jpeg

If someone had shared with me that an a/s could have recoded the vin when upgrading my 09 to a 12-14 Navi unit (unlimited times) vs. having a specialty shop do it twice when I got a bum Navi off eBay, it would of paid for itself in a matter of days.

Attachments

• 04D5AE63-D317-4D32-A928-A542E02A1660.jpeg
    04D5AE63-D317-4D32-A928-A542E02A1660.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point exactly. 69-$99 for one key fob added or $295 for being able to read and clear codes through the DIC and about $2.5k worth of software technology added that GM held back on. Kind of like when they added BT to our trucks 2 years after its initial introduction.

View attachment 417642

If someone had shared with me that an a/s could have recoded the vin when upgrading my 09 to a 12-14 Navi unit (unlimited times) vs. having a specialty shop do it twice when I got a bum Navi off eBay, it would of paid for itself in a matter of days.
not saying it's not a deal for all the extra features, but not everyone has the money, nor the desire.
some of us are poor and have a gang of hungry kids, lol
hell I'm trying to research how I can buy food at wholesale prices....... not much having much luck, most places that advertise wholesale are more than retail.....

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Agreed on Costco pizza and Raman budget these days. Hindsight’s always 20/20 when budgeting for repairs.

Being informed before paying for things gives the gift of avoiding (wallet) regret. If the repair can be prolonged to budget for a savings advantage, it’s a win.

BAF04B2D-17F0-40F8-BB72-CCB84DF5D8A5.jpeg

We all hear ya. If my kids wanna splurge and go to McDonald’s they know to look at their app for deals and promos before they ask. When a #1 combo is $13+, it’s the knowledge we can order à la carte off our cell phones off the app and split free large fries and BOGO burgers for 70% less that has to pass muster first.

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. This might be just what I'm looking for and didn't know it.

I wouldn't be spending anything if both fobs worked, but I'm unhappy with the idea of having only one working fob for the family vehicle. My wife is starting menopause and her brains are in Space Cadet mode 24/7, so I just know she's going to lose the keys someday. Buying this is buying insurance.

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Wow, I just finished reading the manual at the link, and if this does as it claims, it adds a ton of features I wanted. Many times I've asked myself, "If the Denali is the luxury option, why doesn't it allow me to _____?" I'm glad I asked and that you all chimed in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar