Just making sure I have this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Hall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi; I'm wanting to upgrade my 2014 Tahoe LTZ Bose audio. There's a lot of info here - trying to digest it all. Can someone confirm that these stages below are more or less the "best practices"? Thanks.

Just adding subwoofer: use LOC connected to appropriate wires in harness in center console under cup holders (as apparently the other speakers don't have a full bass signal).

Adding aftermarket amp for other speakers (speaker swap implied): use same LOC as above (as it's a full-range signal)?? This seems to imply losing fader control. Do I use the stock speaker wire? Is there some kind of harness to easily plug stock speaker wire connector from the stock amp to the aftermarket amp?

Full audio swap including head unit - I assume the guys doing this go ahead and run their own speaker wire to each speaker location? Seems like the big players now are Kenwood and Pioneer. I read somewhere that if you want navigation (I don't), stick with Kenwood, otherwise Pioneer is better.

Thanks! It's been exactly two decades since I've been in this "game". Quite a bit more difficult these days to upgrade.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It all depends on how much you want to spend and how in depth you want to go.

What is your end goal???

Personally I upgraded the HU to the Rosen GM1210 which looks like the stock Navi but has a lot more/better features and sounds so much better than stock.

Prior to swapping the HU I couldn't really tell I had a subwoofer under the center console but afterwords there was no denying it.

I then upgraded the door speakers to the appropriately (ohms) matched speakers from Infinity but kept the Bose amp. It sounds great and I doubt I will be upgrading any further.

I ended up adding a single 12" sub in a custom down firing box between the 2nd row captains chairs ran off of a 600W RMS amp and the mids have no problem keeping up.

Reaction score
It all depends on how much you want to spend and how in depth you want to go.

What is your end goal???

Personally I upgraded the HU to the Rosen GM1210 which looks like the stock Navi but has a lot more/better features and sounds so much better than stock.

Prior to swapping the HU I couldn't really tell I had a subwoofer under the center console but afterwords there was no denying it.

I then upgraded the door speakers to the appropriately (ohms) matched speakers from Infinity but kept the Bose amp. It sounds great and I doubt I will be upgrading any further.

I ended up adding a single 12" sub in a custom down firing box between the 2nd row captains chairs ran off of a 600W RMS amp and the mids have no problem keeping up.

When you hooked up the amp for the sub; Did you simply just plug the RCAs into the head unit and leave everything else the same so that the Bose would still power the doors?

Did you leave the Bose sub in place?

Or did you have to take further steps and do something special?

I want to add a sub to my current set up but don't want to lose what I already have in place

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can splice a LOC in your left and right audio channels, after the bose amplifier, and run rca's to your new amp... Done , easy and simple.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first thing I did was replace the head unit. The factory hu's don't have that good of sound quality. That accomplishes 2 things: it wakes up all the speakers so you can then decide if you want to replace them or if they'll be ok since now they sound better, plus it gives you a dedicated sub output with excellent control over it so you can add a new amp and either wire it to your stock sub or better yet upgrade it. The last step would be adding a new amp and wiring for the other speakers but that's the most work. Mine sounds great with the hybrid system of stock amp, afternarket speakers, head unit and sub/amp.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding head units, you have tons of options. The Pioneer Kenwood route I think is ideal if you need Dual Zone (2 seperate sources playing in the car at the same time). People have had success and saved money with Android HU's and custom setups with Ipod look amazing. If I could go back, I would get a Kenwood but its extremely similar to Pioneer. Just like others mentioned, unless you have a sub/amp already laying around to add, I would invest in HU first, then speakers, then amp to wake up speakers. Prepare yourself by getting speakers that would match your ideal amp if you definitely plan to go that route.

Just an FYI, LTZ considered the best audio as you possess one of the best amps (LUX) and the center channel speaker. HU alone may be enough to make you happy. Otherwise, you can follow the steps above.The stock sub is big enough to provide space for a descent size amp(s) when removed in case you are looking for a stealth look.

Reaction score
You can splice a LOC in your left and right audio channels, after the bose amplifier, and run rca's to your new amp... Done , easy and simple.

Oh dude I have an alpine head unit with plenty of inputs so I don't need to do a LOC.

Just unfamiliar with the Bose system so I'm wondering if it works to add an amp this way and if the rest of the Bose system is still going to fuction the same way.

I'd like to retain the factory sub and add a 10" sub in the rear

kbuskill

Reaction score
When you hooked up the amp for the sub; Did you simply just plug the RCAs into the head unit and leave everything else the same so that the Bose would still power the doors?

Did you leave the Bose sub in place?

Or did you have to take further steps and do something special?

I want to add a sub to my current set up but don't want to lose what I already have in place

Yes I hooked the RCAs for my aftermarket sub/amp up to the Sub output on my Rosen HU and yes, Bose amp still powering the doors.

Yes Bose sub still in place and functioning.

Nothing special had to be done.

Here is a pic of my custom sub box between the captains chairs in the 2nd row...

rps20180615_215440.jpg
rps20180615_215524_285.jpg
rps20180615_215611_390.jpg
Keep in mind that my box is for a Suburban (long body) and the (short body) Tahoe's floor boards are different so there would only be a drop down on the front of the box and not the back.

Last edited:

kbuskill

Reaction score
Just an FYI, LTZ considered the best audio as you possess one of the best amps (LUX) and the center channel speaker.

This is dependent on year... my 2008 Suburban LTZ does NOT have the LUX amp or the center channel speaker. I believe 2009 was the first year the LTZs got that as an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts