Just Installed Vararam in the '08 5.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kolt-46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had traditional-style CAI's in the past. I'm pretty excited to try the TriPower.

Installation:
Not terribly difficult but I have a decent amount of experience under the hood. The instructions were pretty poorly written and the pictures were worthless. If I had never installed a CAI before I would have probably had to call in some help.

NOTE:
The kit comes with different sized clamps but does not indicate so in the instructions. Make sure that you save the four slightly larger ones for the tubing.

The filter housing / MAF is mounted to the T-Body with red hosing and clamps. I'm sure that it will hold up but makes me nervous. I would have liked it to mount to something a little more solid.

The most difficult part for me was getting the hoses around the induction scoops. The rubber tubing even started to tear a little.

Post-Install:
-Not as throaty as traditional style CAI's.
-No noticeable improvement yet but the truck has not been tuned.

What I Would Change:
-Better instructions
-Better mount to the T-Body
-Formed hoses connect the scoops to the filter housing.
-Include an extension for the MAF wiring so it's not just draped across the engine compartment.

I'll post an AAR once I get some miles on it and a tune. Initially, it seems that I actually have diminished gas mileage; Counter-intuitive. I'll get it figured out sooner than later.

supercharged680

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i used to use the vararam in the past.. but i replaced it with a volant.. it has better intake temps, also it doesnt rise as quick when u come to a stop.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used to use the vararam in the past.. but i replaced it with a volant.. it has better intake temps, also it doesnt rise as quick when u come to a stop.

Are you talking about the rpms "flaring" when coming to a stop? If so, that drove me NUTS! The Volant made the flaring/surging much worse than without it. Needless to say, because of that (and CELs), I'm back to stock.

It's a shame, because the Volant sounds just awesome.

OP
OP
Kolt-46

Kolt-46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to read that you still love it emann_01. I'm still forming an opinion. I've been in the field for long hours on this detail and haven't really had a chance to put many miles on the Tahoe since the install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro