Just bought a 2001 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Yukon XL and, as my username states, it has no reverse. I'll be checking out the forums for where my transmission has failed. I am sure I will find help, but if not, I will be asking. Thanks.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Yukon XL and, as my username states, it has no reverse. I'll be checking out the forums for where my transmission has failed. I am sure I will find help, but if not, I will be asking. Thanks.
These babies aren't know for their trannies. How's your forward gears? Trans fluid good? How's the level and color? Getting any codes?

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All forward gears work, including 1 (low). I found that odd because I thought that if you lost reverse you also lost low. Haven't checked fluid condition or codes. All I did was buy it and drive it to a place I can eventually work on it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck, from what I understand if it was just a solenoid you wouldn't have one or more of the other forward gears but I am no expert just what I have heard before. like tony said the 4l60's aren't all that great but can be much better if properly rebuilt with the right parts, I broke my share of them

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrat's on your purchase. Does it just rev in reverse with no movement as if it was in neutral? Do you fell it shift into reverse but slips and will not move?

OP
OP
NoReverseYukon

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I shift into Reverse, It acts like it's in neutral. From what I've gathered researching around the web, the sun shell/ gear is the culprit.

Last edited:

Andy Stewart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very common problem with 4L60 and 4L60e transmissions, the sun gear shell is broken or stripped. When sun gear shell is broken or stripped you also no longer have 2nd or 4th gears trans shifts 1st to 3rd. If all forward gears ok then most likely cause is Reverse input clutches are bad

Andy Stewart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One other cause for no reverse and all forward gears ok, could be low and reverse clutches are bad. These clutches are applied for reverse, and manual first gear to help the one way roller clutch hold under heavy loads in manual first gear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ge1176