It could have been worse!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Wow you did a good job on that!!
What did you charge him for the paint work alone?
Only asking because it just so happens I had a body job quote me on buffing/wet sanding my Tahoe to clear swirl marks and he said I would be looking at $50 a panel. So total was $400 for 8 panels he would have to do and I was like WOAH!!
My swirls are barely visible! He said it has something to do with taking a long time and using a number 1, 2 and 3 buff pad with some blue stuff that will make it looks like glass.

OP
OP
D

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow you did a good job on that!!
What did you charge him for the paint work alone?
Only asking because it just so happens I had a body job quote me on buffing/wet sanding my Tahoe to clear swirl marks and he said I would be looking at $50 a panel. So total was $400 for 8 panels he would have to do and I was like WOAH!!
My swirls are barely visible! He said it has something to do with taking a long time and using a number 1, 2 and 3 buff pad with some blue stuff that will make it looks like glass.

Thanks!

I actually cut this guy a pretty good deal. I charged just $270 for the entire detail. The exterior only needed a single stage polish to remove 90% of the scratches followed by a quality sealant. I normally charge $60 per hour for paint correction.

The thing about GM paint is that it is very hard and requires A LOT of extra work to truly remove some of the deeper scratches which is why your tech was talking about wet sanding. Wet sanding really isn't needed if the detail tech knows what he's doing though.

3 stage polishing definitely isn't needed if you're wet sanding. This is what your tech was talking about with the different pads. It would take 3 stages to more or less do what you could accomplish with wet sanding.

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Ok thanks DTAILS. I'm gonna call him and tell him I only need a single stage polish with sealant because if it worked so good for that Denali it should be even better on mine considering mine is like 1/6 as bad as his swirls.
Something tells me he was gonna polish it anyway and make me pay for wetsanding! People these days!

OP
OP
D

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks DTAILS. I'm gonna call him and tell him I only need a single stage polish with sealant because if it worked so good for that Denali it should be even better on mine considering mine is like 1/6 as bad as his swirls.
Something tells me he was gonna polish it anyway and make me pay for wetsanding! People these days!

Anytime.

If he questions the process then tell him that these results were achieved using a Flex polisher, green LC buffing pad and Menzerna Power Finish compound followed by Chemical Guys Xtreme Depth Carnauba w/ M-Seal.

Tony

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Ok thanks again, I will email tha post to my phone so I don't forget.

windycitylp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it takes a lot of time to keep the yukon lookin that good. i do it, but i understand why most people dont. it looks great but i have put over 10 hours to get the glass like shine. even if i got a machine, it would still take a good chunk of time. i enjoy it but i have an XL so i spend a lot of time getting to know my vehicle. ha. good job with that 07. looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401