Is this what a bad timing chain looks like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me it appears maybe a tiny bit stretched but I am no expert I have done my own years ago, be happy the gears are no longer plastic coated

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you got a new one in hand and your this deep change it.

turn the engine over till the timing dots line up then remove it and swap on the new one. cant mess up that way. id still make sure #1 is tdc tho.

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have already bought an upgraded chain. $30 from Summit. If it's really loose, I would replace the gears. But if you are telling me that its not bad, I will just replace the chain.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I did mine it had slipped (because the gears were plastic coated and had worn down to nubs), I just backed it up till the dots lined up, put on a new one, she spit out a huge smokebomb at the first crank and drove great again, lol guess I got lucky

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a new chain and new gears... Buy a good set ! Money well worth spended

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isnt ridiculous bad but dont expect it to last another 50-100k either. It is stretched and is likely the original. Id replace it and ALWAYS replace the chain with new gears. They arent expensive and you do it once and likely will never have to do it again on that engine before the end of its life.

OP
OP
Searay45db

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I van upgrade to deal cogs, heavy duty for a total of $99 bucks complete. Do I really need too because I have not changed compression? No, but will it last longer? More reliable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy