Is there such thing as out of balance (engine, AC fan, etc.) that cause rough idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is not the first thread on this forum about these engines idling rough. There are likely some TSB's related to it but no recalls because it is not a danger.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to tell but from the windows sticker I do not see the max tow mentioned. It has 7300 lbs. rating.

Do you by any chance have the max tow package? Duel radiator fans. I have that and wondering if there is a connection there?

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to tell but from the windows sticker I do not see the max tow mentioned. It has 7300 lbs. rating.
It should say on the sticker. I think max tow package can go up to 8400lbs. I just noticed the other day when I changed my oil that there are dual fans. Don’t know if that standard across or just for the tow package. Trying to see if there are similarities in packages because of the rough idles. Just throwing stuff out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, I will double check for sure tomorrow. To match your setup, I have ordered Airaid Jr to try.
It is interesting that there are no complaints of rough idle on 2019-20 vehicles, trucks and SUVs.

It should say on the sticker. I think max tow package can go up to 8400lbs. I just noticed the other day when I changed my oil that there are dual fans. Don’t know if that standard across or just for the tow package. Trying to see if there are similarities in packages because of the rough idles. Just throwing stuff out there

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what Arbitrator decided. Rough idle is "within GM spec" as it not a safety risk. I am reading more and more often these days, that GM and dealers are using "within GM spec" execute for those items that are not safety risk but expensive to diagnose and fix. Interesting that "within GM spec" is not challenged anywhere, it makes no sense to me that manufacturer can just appoint the "spec" and hide any non-safety defect in that bucket...
This is not the first thread on this forum about these engines idling rough. There are likely some TSB's related to it but no recalls because it is not a danger.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, I will double check for sure tomorrow. To match your setup, I have ordered Airaid Jr to try.
It is interesting that there are no complaints of rough idle on 2019-20 vehicles, trucks and SUVs.
Very interesting. Make sure when you install the air aid jr to wipe the ends of the tube and rubber piece that connect to air box and throttle body with alcohol. I found them to have some oily residue probably from manufacturing. I got this advice from another person reading their review. I guess some had issues with it not sealing around throttle body. I have no issues.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the tip, indeed. I will make sure. I will try all that I can within reason to get the idle to be smooth. When I cleaned the MAF and MAP, idle was smooth for the entire 2 hours of driving yesterday, but today - back to rough... oh, well.
Very interesting. Make sure when you install the air aid jr to wipe the ends of the tube and rubber piece that connect to air box and throttle body with alcohol. I found them to have some oily residue probably from manufacturing. I got this advice from another person reading their review. I guess some had issues with it not sealing around throttle body. I have no issues.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the tip, indeed. I will make sure. I will try all that I can within reason to get the idle to be smooth. When I cleaned the MAF and MAP, idle was smooth for the entire 2 hours of driving yesterday, but today - back to rough... oh, well.
Now that’s very interesting. You may be onto something. Maybe take one out at time and clean them again. See which one will make idle smooth???

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another interesting observation only 5.3 seem to have rough idle, 6.2 not much at least in 2019-20 lineup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ToddTammi1001