Is autoride worth keeping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
So the wife's 08 LTZ came with the autoride of course. After we bought it I noticed that the rear shocks were blown all to shit. I swapped them for some oem 06 shocks we had from a buddies Yukon to get me by because the truck had some weird swaying when hitting bumps. I never heard the compressor kick on so I'm assuming the previous owner pulled the fuse possibly? Anyway I want to lower it possibly 3-4 and I'm wondering if I should buy new air shocks for the rear to make the autoride work again and then lower from there or should I pull the air stuff and start over with new non air parts and lower it that way. Any input guys?

ulakovic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you are going to drop it at least 4 then ditch the autoride. The max I plan on going is 4" so I'm just going to do shock extenders and utilize the autoride to level out heavy loads versus using helper bags in the springs.

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if the shocks were blown the compressor is most likely bad too.... Because once the bags on the shocks go the compressor is just going to run constantly because its going to sense being too low. With that compressor running all the time its going to go bad fairly quickly. Mine did the same and I replaced both the shocks and the compressor; I'm currently running with the fuse pulled because I'm lowered and running airlift helper bags in my rear coils but if and when I ever go to sell or go back to stock height for any reason I just reinstall the fuse and I'm good to go.

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering the same, mine is lowered and my autoride just took a dump.

I just want what rides the best from a handling perspective without ridiculous negatives on the ride.

Seems the three options are:
$$$ GM replacement parts to have an adjustable ride along with load levelling. Not that I've ever been in a car where the sport/comfort suspension settings made a difference.
$$ Arnott replacement kit with only auto-level
$ Belltech replacement shocks with no level or ride control

My tendency is to believe a real shock is what would actually give the best overall performance along with a more than reasonable ride....but don't know if the Belltech's fit that bill or if the other options are still superior.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mazdawg(Mikey)

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
So if the shocks were blown the compressor is most likely bad too.... Because once the bags on the shocks go the compressor is just going to run constantly because its going to sense being too low. With that compressor running all the time its going to go bad fairly quickly. Mine did the same and I replaced both the shocks and the compressor; I'm currently running with the fuse pulled because I'm lowered and running airlift helper bags in my rear coils but if and when I ever go to sell or go back to stock height for any reason I just reinstall the fuse and I'm good to go.

So what you're saying is if my fuse is out and I put it in and the compressor kicks in then Im good to replace the air shocks. If the fuse is still there or if the fuse is out and I replace it and the compressor doesn't kick on then I'm ******. Would the "service suspension system" being on cause the compressor not to kick on?

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is if my fuse is out and I put it in and the compressor kicks in then Im good to replace the air shocks. If the fuse is still there or if the fuse is out and I replace it and the compressor doesn't kick on then I'm ******. Would the "service suspension system" being on cause the compressor not to kick on?

Just because you hear the compressor running doesn't necessarily mean it's good. But making noise at all is better than none. Typically you can look under and see if the shock bags are ripped or torn. My truck never did the service ride control until I messed with the level sensor arms. One of yours may have been disconnected causing the code. Replace the shocks if you know they are bad and if they fill up with your current compressor you should be ok.

OP
OP
mazdawg(Mikey)

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
The bags were torn so I removed them and went with a normal set of shocks because I thought it would make it ride less ******. It had a bad sway to it

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bags were torn so I removed them and went with a normal set of shocks because I thought it would make it ride less ******. It had a bad sway to it
How do you feel it rides compared to stock?

OP
OP
mazdawg(Mikey)

mazdawg(Mikey)

Reaction score
How do you feel it rides compared to stock?
I'm not sure the before because it rode like ass when we got it. We've only had it for a few weeks. I replaced the front sway bar end links and the rear shocks and it rides fine now

ulakovic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would replace with factory stuff. The autoride rides good and the load leveling is a plus so you don't have to do it manually. I have a set of rear shocks NIB if you want to buy them. PM me your number and I can text you pictures. AC Delco number is 580-358 and the GM number is 25979392.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM