Intake manifold gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOVAhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today i noticed a puddle of antifreeze under my truck and it looks like its the intake manifold gasket, ive been meaning to do it but i guess its making its own time for me lol, but i already ordered the felpro gasket set, is there anything else i should do while i got it torn apart? I know about the mpi conversion and im debating on that now.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd make sure it is the intake manifold gasket before doing anything.

I would not debate doing the upgraded injection system. DO IT........................................
You will regret it later if you do not.

OP
OP
NOVAhoe

NOVAhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure its the intake gasket, its dripping down the back of the motor down the bellhousing on the transmission, i was afraid it might be a head gasket but I can see where its coming out where the intake meets the head

LI BeachHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be having fun this weekend! It only makes sense to do the injector upgrade now while you have it all apart. You will thank yourself later.

Off topic: What size tires are you running? I am really diggin that setup.

jsimmons034

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just completed this job over the weekend, same description of the leak as yours. No more leak! Make it easy on yourself and mark your distributor before you take it out. Also, my distributor gasket broke in 2 when I took my distributor out and half nearly fell down, so I'd say be sure to watch for that. Common practice is to replace the bolts with new - I think they're Fel-Pro as well and come with the perfect amount of sealant on them. I really took my time to clean all of the mating surfaces before reassembling.

Now if I could track down my A/C problem...

It's not a terribly difficult job, just time consuming.
Good luck!

Monzter Mike

Reaction score
Get the intake gaskets from a GM dealer, way better gasket than Felpro. The Felpro intake gaskets are thinner & weaker than the GM gaskets. Felpro is ok for all the other gaskets, but I would not use them on the intake. When you do it use Permatex "Ultra Grey" silicone for the intake to the block. And if you don't already have the newer spider injector set up on the truck do it while the intake is off, it's easier.

I was going to take a picture of the Felpro & GM gaskets side by side to show the differences when I did mine on my Tahoe last month, but I forgot to take the pic before I got the intake back on. I might be doing another intake soon, I'll have to get a picture of them side by side then. If I got time I'll take step by step pictures as I go.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the intake gaskets from a GM dealer, way better gasket than Felpro. The Felpro intake gaskets are thinner & weaker than the GM gaskets. Felpro is ok for all the other gaskets, but I would not use them on the intake. When you do it use Permatex "Ultra Grey" silicone for the intake to the block. And if you don't already have the newer spider injector set up on the truck do it while the intake is off, it's easier.

I was going to take a picture of the Felpro & GM gaskets side by side to show the differences when I did mine on my Tahoe last month, but I forgot to take the pic before I got the intake back on. I might be doing another intake soon, I'll have to get a picture of them side by side then. If I got time I'll take step by step pictures as I go.

Really now, the GM ones are better than the Fel-pro? Not disagreeing, just a little surprised.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The gm ones are just standard duty just just like the cheaper felpros. But felpro made a better kit like I showed you that has better sealing reliability all you have to do is make sure the surfaces are clean and things are properly torqued. Stop fiddling and just do it.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gm ones are just standard duty just just like the cheaper felpros. But felpro made a better kit like I showed you that has better sealing reliability all you have to do is make sure the surfaces are clean and things are properly torqued. Stop fiddling and just do it.

OK, gonna order the parts tonight :D

OP
OP
NOVAhoe

NOVAhoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i tore into it a little this morning, i havent pulled the intake off yet but its ready, just gotta pull the distributor and then i can, its actually not as hard of a job as it looks, honestly the most pain in the ass part is undoing all the plugs and trying to work around all the wiring harnesses haha, but other then that its good, and even the dreaded heater hose came out with out a problem, i didnt break the tabs off of it thank goodness, and i got the newer fel pro gasket set with the metal in them, i heard those were much better then the gm ones

oh and btw im running 265/70/17s, it was a stretch to go 17s but im glad i did, it looks great, im debating on going to 33s or just staying with this tire size when these wear out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts