Intake Gasket Replace - Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landsoul

Reaction score
Is there a list of suggested items to replace when replacing the lower intake gasket on the 5.7 vortec? Mine is starting to leak on the back corners and I will be undertaking this project in the next week or so.

Also, any suggestions from past projects?

Should I replace the coolant with a non dexcool product when refilling?

Felpro product?
New Felpro intake bolts?

Thanks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO. Get the FELPRO gasket kit and bolt kit. Use DexCool coolant or any like coolant. Make sure when reassemble all the surfaces are clean and dry except for any sealer used to help seal the gasket. Do an oil change because coolant will drop in to oil pan when take apart. Anything you remove that looks suspect, replace it while apart. If you have taps then go ahead and tap threads of holes before reassemble. Clean, clean, clean. Almost forgot. Use a new thermostat.

99Vortec

Reaction score
Here is what I got when I did mine.

MS98000T Premium intake gasket set
ES72224 Intake Bolt set
VS50293R Valve cover gasket

(The MS9800 gasket set will include one valve cover gasket, but I got the VS50293R so I could do both valve covers. In my opinion, it also makes it easier to re-install the intake manifold without having to tilt it in.)

Also be wary of the manifold heater hose quick-disconnector. If the retention clip gets damaged during removal, replacement of the threaded assembly can sometimes present a problem. (The Manifold threads are know to sometimes strip when attempting to replace the whole quick-disconnector.)

The Fel-Pro gasket set has torque specifications that ship with the gasket, and if I remember properly, it is installed without sealant around the water jacket ports. (Some people might disagree with this though.) I did clean very carefully and used a solvent to make sure there were no traces of oil on the cylinder heads/block end sealing surfaces.

Mark your distributor very carefuly! (Rotor to body, Base to manifold, and a firewall reference.) Then take a few pictures of the markings. Don't use a black permanent marker like I did! (The pictures saved me after my greasy hands blurred the marks.) Use a yellow marking paint pen or something similar. Or scribe some lines.

I also waited overnight upon re-assembly for the silicone end sealing to cure before starting.

That's about all I can think of for now.

gl

Last edited:
OP
OP
landsoul

landsoul

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I watched a few good youtube videos on the removal and replacement to see if there are any other pointers out there. Pictures seem to be key once you go to put everything back together and markings are a definite on the distributor.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't upgraded the injectors to the new MPFI style, now is a good time. Buy a good INCH pound torque wrench if you don't have one. DO NOT attempt to rotate the oil pump with a long handle screwdriver and greasy hands. You will have to pull the intake that you just sealed and torqued down off to retrieve it from the engine. Ask me how I know......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
artmumf