Instrument Cluster Light Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I didn't figure this out by myself, someone at that “other site” posted up and I followed the directions. Since I haven’t seen it here I figured it wouldn’t hurt to post up. I’ve got a 2000. I don’t know models well enough to know what years this will work on but I’m sure somebody does.

You can change the color of the lights in your display cheap and easy without having to replace the whole cluster.

Requirements.
- Flat Head Screw Driver.
- 7MM Socket.
- 6 Bulbs.
- 6 Light Bulb Housings.

What To Order.
- Order 6 WLED-x4 LED bulb
12VDC 4-LED Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type)
Select LED Color.

(They are about ¾ of the way down the page.)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...ct=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=8054561.29175&next=0

- Order 6 Light Bulb Housings. Lampholder Twistlock for T3-1/4 Wedgebase lamps (555,etc) 24-8767 this is the black plastic twistlock plastic piece that twists into a circuit board and the lamp fits into

http://bayareaamusements.com/Mercha...Code=LB-T3T&Category_Code=LB&Product_Count=23

1) Tilt your steering wheel all the way down.
2) Turn on your truck and put your gear all the way down to first gear. Then turn truck off.
3) Use your fingers and wedge out the dash trim, it should just come out.
4) Use a socket and remove all 4 bolts holding on the gauge cluster.
5) Unplug the wire attachment that you will see on the backside of the cluster.
6) Remove the black covering of the gauge cluster that's on the backside, use a flat head screw driver. (see pic of black tabs on side)
7) You will see 6 gray light bulbs, twist to remove them and replace them with the new ones. (I can only see 5 large ones in the pic, I think I might have clipped the 6th.)
8) Reinstall the whole cluster as you removed it, then your done!

I can't find my after pics but they look lighter in the pics. They display fairly dark but I like it.

Here are some pictures with a before from my '** and some afters from whoever I got the write up from after he installed blue LED's as well as some red LED's (not mine)

Attachments

• black tabs.JPG
    black tabs.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 299
  • back side.JPG
    back side.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 368
  • before.JPG
    before.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 380
  • blue after.jpg
    blue after.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 452
  • real after.jpg
    real after.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 381

joeyjamin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that looks nice man im goin to order sum rite now....by the way what about the ac what type of bulbs they use because i want the ac the same way

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great writeup, thanks!! Who was the orig poster?

BOSS

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember who posted it originally. I got it over at Tahoeforum a long time ago. I tried to take some pics of mine but the pics looked lighter than the actual lights. I used red and they are a pretty dark almost blood red. They aren't stand out bright like the blue so it just depends on what you like.

As far as the AC lights I have no idea. These have no wires, just contacts on the twist mount that when you twist them into the circuit board make contact. Unless someone has some input I guess you could always try to take the AC display apart and see what was back there.

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple more pics from the other post. Like I said, remember the red us much darker than the pic.

I wonder what it would look like if you put a blue in the speedo light then used red for the tach and guages? Maybe a little too messy?

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 137
  • real deal red.jpg
    real deal red.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 122

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
Here are a couple more pics from the other post. Like I said, remember the red us much darker than the pic.

I wonder what it would look like if you put a blue in the speedo light then used red for the tach and guages? Maybe a little too messy?

Here I photoshopped what it would look like: Took 2 mins. os its not perfect, just to get an idea.

dash.jpg

:)

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the AC lights I have no idea. These have no wires, just contacts on the twist mount that when you twist them into the circuit board make contact. Unless someone has some input I guess you could always try to take the AC display apart and see what was back there.

New bulbs/LEDs have to be soldered into place of the stock ones. They don't use the twist lock type bulbs like the IP. I used single LEDs with a 5K ohm resistor on each:
DSC_2080.jpg

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here I photoshopped what it would look like: Took 2 mins. os its not perfect, just to get an idea.

dash.jpg

:)

You'd get alot of color mixing/spill over if you did this, I think...the edges of where the colors meet would probably look purple lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe