Installing subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bolo1g2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of amp do you have and are the rca's near any live power wires? it sounds like you have a weird ground loop. did you do a big 3 or anything? It's so hard to tell without actually seeing any pics of your wiring or hearing the actual noises. also do you have the right ohm load on your amp? like is your sub wired to 4 ohm, 2 ohm, 1ohm, .5 hom? can your amp handle?

Nuttzzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this is the deal , I have my power wire run on the passenger side of the vehicle , I have my ground going to the floor where I have removed everything down to bare metal and applied dielectric grease and bolted down the ground , the power and ground run next to each other (zip tied together) from about 2 feet away to the amp . I bridged my subwoofers and they have been triple checked and they are wired correctly , my line out converter has been triple checked to make sure it is wired correctly, my rca cables run from the inside of the center consul to the driver door and run under the plastic molding to the trunk to the amp.

when running: it sounds great parked , put it into reverse and drive back then foreword , i can here the engine through the subwoofer, go back and forth more can stil here it then it turns into a whum whum whum whum noise then goes away when i stop and put it in park. do double check to make sure its not the rca cables I put another set I have lieing around and plug them into the amp , then just run them over the seats (to test) and to the line out converter in the center console , the second I plug them in im getting a even loudeder whum whum whum very fast over the subs much worse then with the other rca's.

my question is it the rca's receiving interference from something else? should I buy some high quality rca cables heavy shielding like some monster cables or something? this is like the 4th time i have un wired and re wired everything just to check im getting frustrated. any help ?

i would say yes man.. I've always heard and been told to run the RCAs on the other side of the car from the power.. not always been my policy but i haven't had a problem ether.. how far the the ground running next to the power and how far are the RCAS at that point.. being that close it might as a bigger magnetic field.. and if your RCAs are close at the point maybe its picking up some static interference.. HOWEVER.. the rcas are under the console? so that could be from the motor its hard to tell so to tell you the truth i would buy as RCAs that have shielding built in and see if thats a fix.. if it doesn't could always take them back.. say they are to short or something but it will be one less place to worry about the interference coming from..

OP
OP
B

Blakesan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of amp do you have and are the rca's near any live power wires? it sounds like you have a weird ground loop. did you do a big 3 or anything? It's so hard to tell without actually seeing any pics of your wiring or hearing the actual noises. also do you have the right ohm load on your amp? like is your sub wired to 4 ohm, 2 ohm, 1ohm, .5 hom? can your amp handle?

unless my yukon has power wires running under the plastic moldings on the door edge then no , I have a kicker 800.2 , idk what a big 3 is, my subs are wired exacly like this , and the amp is in bridged mode
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch...er/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_2ch-br.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

i would say yes man.. I've always heard and been told to run the RCAs on the other side of the car from the power.. not always been my policy but i haven't had a problem ether.. how far the the ground running next to the power and how far are the RCAS at that point.. being that close it might as a bigger magnetic field.. and if your RCAs are close at the point maybe its picking up some static interference.. HOWEVER.. the rcas are under the console? so that could be from the motor its hard to tell so to tell you the truth i would buy as RCAs that have shielding built in and see if thats a fix.. if it doesn't could always take them back.. say they are to short or something but it will be one less place to worry about the interference coming from..

my rcas come about 2 feet at the closest point (plugged into the amp) , it has somthing to do with the rca's i would imagine since the noise was much louder and constant when i just ran the rcas over the seats down the middle of the car to test. but im still not sure cause ive never dont this before , could my amp be screwed?

bolo1g2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to be a ground loop then. You're getting engine noise somewhere in your hook up, could be your deck, could be your amp, could be your grounds. You might have to check them each, check the ohm load from your rca to your deck, check the amp grounds, are they short, etc? then if nothing else works do that rca ground i linked earlier. one of those has to work. if nothing works, then i might suggest taking it to a professional, cuz i'm stumped.

OP
OP
B

Blakesan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my ground from my amp to my sub is a little long , its maybe a inch short of 3 ft should I shorten this? could this be it?

OP
OP
B

Blakesan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought some nice heavy shielded monster cables , hooked them up moved the car still getting some interference, I have a mrp-500m amp at my buddies house im going to pic up tonight to make sure its not the amp acting up. any ideas from anyone?

OP
OP
B

Blakesan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i hooked up my m500 amp new out of the box , and still have the sound. so confused

bolo1g2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a ground loop. Do the thing that I sent you earlier with soldering grounds to your rcas and ground that to the deck.

OP
OP
B

Blakesan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and that will fix the problem ?

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html

so my rca cables arnt going to the stock HU there going to my line output converter , so should I just do this ground shield repair on the amp side? thanks

also should I ground the line out converter ? it has ground leads but I never grounded it because the directions say to ground it only when you have no sounds coming through the converter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reveita42

Latest posts