Installed - Gmx550 Lockpick In 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roger1079

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks of your post Roger. I'm glad you posted this. It shows that their service and their product sucks... I've yet to hear one good thing about them. If you want your iPod/iDevice to sound good, you basically have to run 300+ kbps bitrate audio which is pretty much unheard of unless you are directly ripping a CD into iTunes and leave it as un-compressed as possible.
My GMX322 has worked without a hiccup since day 1. From everything I have read though, product quality went down the drain with the GMX550. It sucks too because seeing the settings in the cluster display is a great feature.

As far as iPod sound goes though, connected using the dock connector, I have never experienced any degraded sound quality either with an aftermarket headunit (my experience is with an old Pioneer Avic-D3) or with a factory implementation. I would figure that using all the factory harnesses and the dock connector plugged into it would produce sound that is just as good. From other posts though it seems like I am definitely not alone with this issue. Being that this is one of the two reasons I upgraded, this is definitely a dealbreaker for me.

Also, I am still waiting for that e-mail from Coastal with the technicians name and direct line. He never mentioned his name during the call and the number came up as blocked in my caller ID so I am just waiting at the moment.

Ripley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now THAT'S what I'm looking for! In doing some research on this device, I came across their outlet store on ebay. They have it for $249.99 shipped. At that price, I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-YUKON-N...eo&vxp=mtr&hash=item588bb7c155#ht_1634wt_1163

JP

I just got off the phone with Navtool. The rep was friendly and patiently answered my questions. So all good there.

Basically he said that all of these devices work the same way in regards to the NIM, VIM, and CIM - they trick the vehicle in to thinking it's either not moving or moving very slowly. This is the only way to circumvent the safety function.

When NavTool VIM is in use, you have video up front with no "Check your surroundings" warnings but no NAV until you turn the function off. NIM is a 60 second delay that requires 20-30 seconds to resync. And CIM is similar.

So it sounds to me like the NavTool is similar in function to the GMX550, I/O aside of course, with the exception that it's trickery is a little different thereby removing the "Check your surroundings" banner from VIM and causing less delays for the resyncing of NAV. That's my assesment at this point.

Let me know if anyone knows anything differently.

VIM - Video in motion
NIM - Navigation in motion (destination input, etc)
CIM - Controls in motion (XM category scrolling, etc)

shrgawi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
merry christmas to everyone,
did any one face this problem with GMX550 on Yukon Denali 2010?
my car is not equipped with Onstar nor bluetooth device but when i plugged the GMX550 and select the iPod option the screen goes crazy and keep jumping between AM and FM radio. and the voice recognition is activated and can not be canceled?

see the linked video:
http://youtu.be/PB8P2wv5T9c

any help before i return back the device please?

Stompor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a gmx550 this last weekend to replace an older lock pick. The 550 works great.
Sound is excellent! I was a little concerned after reading this tread, but all is good. :)

roger1079

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a gmx550 this last weekend to replace an older lock pick. The 550 works great.
Sound is excellent! I was a little concerned after reading this tread, but all is good. :)
Mine was good for a few days too. Hopefully your experience is better than mine was.

roger1079

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On a side note, I think I may have found the issue. 4 of the wires in the lockpick harness didn't have the pins seated properly in the connector. I went over all the connectors and reinstalled the GMX550. Seems ok so far, but only time will tell. By the way, I was never able to get back in touch with the Coastal Tech employee after that time. So hopefully the issues are solved since I doubt I will get any help from the manufacturer.

roger1079

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So everything was fine on my way to work. Not a single issue. Get in the truck after work and the second I pull out of the spot, the OnStar is activating on its own again. So I call Coastal while on the way home and the rep says he is forwarding my info to a technician. I get a call from the same tech as last time. I explain the issue has surfaced again and that I am 100% certain that there is no way the pink wire is grounding to anything. He offers to send me a replacement and I said if it is all the same, I don't have much faith in the 550 anymore and that keeping the 322 and a refund would be the way I would like to go.

What he says next made me double take. He offered to send someone down to install the replacement for me. They are several hours north of me so this completely took me by surprise. I asked why they would send someone down here over a $350 piece of equipment, and he responded that any odd occurences that they can investigate, they do, and they would appreciate the opportunity to work with my issue first hand. Needless to say, I agreed and am waiting to hear back from the tech.

Complete shock with the customer service here. I will keep everyone updated.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had issue with the OEM backup camera not working intermitenly? I hope it is the camera but have a small fear it is the Lockpick.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I removed the GMX550. Second best part about that is I sold it on ebay within a few days. Best part is that nothing is messed up anymore. NAV and backup camera all went back to their happy selves. Great idea, bad execution, not worth the trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev