Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Vortec

Reaction score
So I drive my Vortec pretty hard some times. And it looks like It will eat more oil in response...

"The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000mi)."

(In accordance with # 01-06-01-011I: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines - (Oct 27, 2015))

Important
: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Curious though, does your Vortec demand a quart before the oil change?

(BTW. Just got my hands on a Nice little '83 6.2l Blazer!)

Last edited:

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I add no more that a quart between oil changes. It also depends on the brand. But I drive a lot of highway and tow a bit also. To me adding a bit is normal.

OP
OP
99Vortec

99Vortec

Reaction score
Yea, this was a headscratcher for me. I was wondering about the oil usage as my compression checked out. I gated my pcv system down just a bit and monitored oil consumption during a 3-4k mileage period and it (The consumption.) still persisted.

eagle-co94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This makes me feel better about my truck. I'd say 1 qt every few thousand miles is accurate. My wife uses it as a daily and we were out of town just recently and I got a low oil pressure warning after taking a hard turn. I pulled over and checked the oil and it was scary low. I bought a gallon of oil and ended up adding almost 3 quarts. Now we check it more often. We do live in South FL where traffic moves pretty fast. We also got a PPV because of how it handles and we drive it hard. I changed the oil and the underside was nearly spotless so that was a relief as the oil was getting low again and I was wondering why it was consuming so much.

OP
OP
99Vortec

99Vortec

Reaction score
This makes me feel better about my truck. I'd say 1 qt every few thousand miles is accurate. My wife uses it as a daily and we were out of town just recently and I got a low oil pressure warning after taking a hard turn. I pulled over and checked the oil and it was scary low. I bought a gallon of oil and ended up adding almost 3 quarts. Now we check it more often. We do live in South FL where traffic moves pretty fast. We also got a PPV because of how it handles and we drive it hard. I changed the oil and the underside was nearly spotless so that was a relief as the oil was getting low again and I was wondering why it was consuming so much.

Glad the TSB relay helped!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo