Inconspicuous lights on the roof rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2001 Tahoe yesterday.

I'd like to hide some lights on the roof.

In PA, lights that are above the headlights are supposed to have covers. I don't want covers. I was thinking of putting 6 lights on the roof. A pair front and rear, UNDER the crossbars, and one on each side. I was figuring on maybe a little tint on the lenses so they aren't as noticable when they aren't on.

I know the roof rack doesn't come forward very far and so the front ones would have a huge shadow where the truck roof is, but I figure it would still throw the light far, which is the point. The headlights can cover the close stuff.

Has anyone done this? Maybe have some pictures of the lights on the roof and of the output out the front?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could get some small boxes and paint them black if you are going with square lights to see what they would sort of look like in position and just how noticeable they would be to law enforcement.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if they are under the bar and have a little smoke on the lens, they won't bee too noticeable. I'm asking for pictures to see how the light throw is with the big shadow and to maybe see how someone else installed them. I've seen a few where they just drilled a hole in the bar and mounted them on top. I don't really want bolts sticking up through on top.

I guess I also need to ask is there a popular spot to run wires to the inside without drilling a hole in the roof?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be a little work but you could remove just one of the roof rack mounting bolts and run your wire through the factory hole then seal it up with some high grade silicone. Any other way, you would have to drill a hole or run the wire through a door jam.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it one bolt at each corner? I haven't been up on the roof yet.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be 2. At least the racks on my 86 and 99 but you would only have to remove one bolt and run your lights all off of one wire.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wanted to get really fancy, you could hide the wires using the cross bars and racks by drilling a small hole and fishing the wire through the tubes.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need independent control of each direction, so I'll be running 4 power wires.

I really like the Z71 rack where people put the back up lights in the end cap. It might be slick to put another end cap on the front and run lights. For those with that style rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk