Im tired...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
Of autozone's cheapy cv axles for the hoe!! Any little bounce and the outter cv breaks like a twig! Now i've bougjten both remanufactured and new cv's, but they still suck. I need something more sturdy and that can take a beatin if i decide to get a lil airbourne in the hoe. Do you guys have any recomendations? Looked through the site but didn't find what i was looking for. Thanks in advance!!

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of autozone's cheapy cv axles for the hoe!! Any little bounce and the outter cv breaks like a twig! Now i've bougjten both remanufactured and new cv's, but they still suck. I need something more sturdy and that can take a beatin if i decide to get a lil airbourne in the hoe. Do you guys have any recomendations? Looked through the site but didn't find what i was looking for. Thanks in advance!!

Uhh. Where do I start..

You have your bar's cranked, you are beating on your truck. What am I missing here? Even if you bought "good" ones they would still break. It might be slightly because you have autozone parts. But it has MORE to do with how the the truck is set up, and how's it's being driven

Decrank your truck. Stop driving it like it's a rockcrawler. And your truck will love you. Also, invest in a leveling kit or a lift kit if you want to 'wheel it.

OP
OP
Devious_Tahoe96

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
Ok, that still didn't answer my question. You basically bashed me for how I go wheeling. Ifs is supposed to be able to take a beating (to a certain limit). A buddy of mine beats the hell out of his WK grand cherokee and its got ifs too. Hasn't broken a single cv since he wheeled it stock and lifted. Enough with the ranting, I just need something better than autozone or the oem gm cv's.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look into higher quality cvs for instance check out moog and better built companys , i could have told you from the get go autozone cvs are not meant to last

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that still didn't answer my question. You basically bashed me for how I go wheeling. Ifs is supposed to be able to take a beating (to a certain limit). A buddy of mine beats the hell out of his WK grand cherokee and its got ifs too. Hasn't broken a single cv since he wheeled it stock and lifted. Enough with the ranting, I just need something better than autozone or the oem gm cv's.

Ok. Cause you know, cranking the living hell out of your torsion bars is good for the front end. You don't put any stress on the front end at all like that...

I gave you advice, because I'm trying to help you and show you wants actually wrong with your set up. You are just too ignorant to take some actual advice from someone.

To answer your question. You'll be spending lot's of cash on cv shafts to find a "good" one for our trucks. Nobody really makes them. Google for some prerunner and long travel set ups. But they won't work for a stock truck

Your truck is stock. You're screwed with OEM and crappy aftermarket replacement parts. So now, resort back to my advice. Otherwise, there is my more expensive advice. Either long travel IFS, or SAS.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score

GM ifs doesn't take a beating...that's the problem. Wheel smarter and you won't have a broken truck all the time.

I don't know of any company that makes aftermarket CVs for the 88-98 trucks. I checked RCV axles, but they only make them for the 07+.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are the angles on the CVs? Could you get a picture? That may be the issue

OP
OP
Devious_Tahoe96

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
The first 2 are from the left side, last one is from the driver side. There doesn't look to be any "bad" angle for the shafts. Now to clear things up....I don't rockcrawl the hoe, well because its to big and heavy to do anything. Im not a dune jumper, but hey if i can get it up 1" in the air, i'll take it. But I don't do it everytime (its my DD) If anything i've got a lead foot and it does it's work on the pavement. Aside from all that, I do understand your guy's advised on what not to do, its pretty much a given when you own a tank.

Attachments

• IMAG0395.jpg
    IMAG0395.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG0396.jpg
    IMAG0396.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0397.jpg
    IMAG0397.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 37

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I'd add the sway bar to my list of concerns, based on your pic. Driver side looks very rusty. Passenger side outer tire rod too.

As for CV axles, I thought Driveshaft Shop might have something, but they are a no-go. You should probably open the phonebook and look for some fabricators or shops that make custom cv axles. Otherwise, it appears your options are slim to none.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Low Beam