identifying transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonconway5

Reaction score
I havent had very many automatics in my lifetime, mostly manual transmissions. I recently bought my 2000 Hoe with 181k on it. Today while driving home from work I noticed when the tranny shifts into 2nd or 3rd(not sure which), the rpm's raise about an extra 1000 rpm in between these shift points. It only does this under 75% or more throttle. Is this a sign I need to start looking for another transmission? Fluid level was about 2 inches above the full hot level when I got home, and a little dirty. I put it in 4x4 low and climbed a fairly small but steep hill slowly and it seemed the power to the wheels would surge, but it pulled the hill without much effort other than that.

Side note, I just put a set of much heavier wheels and tires on it, 285/65/18 Nitto Grapplers.

aloha_bruddah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sorry bud, i think you're in my group, except mine's really bad....2000 yukon 2500xl 200k on the clock...

OP
OP
jasonconway5

jasonconway5

Reaction score
sorry bud, i think you're in my group, except mine's really bad....2000 yukon 2500xl 200k on the clock...

If I go easy on it, driving it back and forth to work and an occasional 4 hour trip on flat land, how much time do I have?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing change the tranny fluid and filter, then put in the correct amount. Too much fluid or too little will damage it.

Skizzot

Reaction score
My 2000 Tahoe was perfect all the way to 210k miles and I would tow trailers that exceeded truck specs for weight. Unfortunately I got side swiped by a dump truck and it locked up the tranny. It still works though! Now every once in awhile it will start popping into gears as it shifts and will correct itself when I shut it off and turn it back on...display a code for transmission component "slipping." Still don't know what I'm going to do with it after insurance totaled it, but the 2007 I just bought is far better all around.

aloha_bruddah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First thing change the tranny fluid and filter, then put in the correct amount. Too much fluid or too little will damage it.

so, removing that drain bolt, then as soon as all the fluid is drained, remove the 16 bolts, i'm assuming a filter kit and seal can be had at AZ or Kragen, or should i go OEM? how much ATF fluid?? I think i will try this, until i can figure out my tranny situation.....

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, removing that drain bolt, then as soon as all the fluid is drained, remove the 16 bolts, i'm assuming a filter kit and seal can be had at AZ or Kragen, or should i go OEM? how much ATF fluid?? I think i will try this, until i can figure out my tranny situation.....

see this thread: http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52058

Also there are quite a few youtube vids on this tranny, IIRC most of them are for the pickup (sierra/silverado) but it's the same.

OP
OP
jasonconway5

jasonconway5

Reaction score

Ive always heard changing the fluid on an already slipping at times tranny can do more harm than good because it washes out all the friction causing particles or some crap. true or false?

franksbanks

Reaction score
Ive always heard changing the fluid on an already slipping at times tranny can do more harm than good because it washes out all the friction causing particles or some crap. true or false?

TRUE! happened to me with my 03 sierra 2 yrs ago- had the same symptoms you mentioned-

Took it in for a car wash- they convinced me to do the flush… the worst mistake- :uhoh2:

it wouldn’t even reverse off the lift.. and I had it towed to a pro shop and had it rebuilt..

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
changing tranny fluid and flushing are different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Park60