Ideas to increase reverse light output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I installed these smoked LED tails and put in this LED bulb. Although it looks amazing, day and night, the output is just not... "great". Basically, I want more. Now, I am tossing around 3 concepts, and am seeking opinion, but mostly ideas on what I can do to basically increase light output while in Reverse.

1. Swap to better LEDs. Function wise, this is what I need, but I can't convince myself to spend $50 on 2 silly bulbs, to replace $40 worth of perfectly fine bulbs. Anyway, my preferred option is this 550 lumen bulb, or this 400 lumen bulb if the first is too long (No idea on if these are too long for the housing, haven't checked). Seeing as the lumen count is quadrupled, I assume they are much, much brighter.

2. An HID reverse kit for my tails that fits. I have heard this tossed around, but mostly for NNBSs. Does anyone have insight here? My only worry with this is that of everyone elses, which is the torturing of the ballast. So probably not going to happen.

3. Additional mounted, large LEDs or switchable HIDs. I've seen Z71 rack lights, but although the lights look good, I honestly do not like the rack, nor am I interested in getting a new one. I have seen things like this White Night product, but that just looks a little tacky. However, I am not necessarily opposed to mounting something under the bumper if possible.

I suppose another option is mounting an off-road style light bar somewhere that it isn't too obvious until it is lit.

Like I said, I have ideas, but am more so looking for y'alls input. I want it to be functional, but still look good, ya know?

Thanks for the help, as always!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they make a skinny enough light bar that you could put between the bottom of the tailgate and above the rear bumper, like those brake light light bars that some folks like! Would be pretty cool to get a clear housing one for your reverse lighting, and when they are off I'd imagine that you wouldn't notice them too much!

Denalixl13

Reaction score
Go to SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.COM. I bought DRL LED bulbs for my Yukon, pretty sure it's the same bulb and they're bright as hell. If not, they make those light bars that go underneath tailgates on pickups, they can also be installed on yukons and suburbans, they have ones that are just red, but they also have ones where the center lights up white in reverse. Probably a foot and a half length does. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a license plate frame that had some insanely bright LED's around it. They showed a video of it in action, and I was surprised on the amount of light it put out. I will try and find a link for it.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a license plate frame that had some insanely bright LED's around it. They showed a video of it in action, and I was surprised on the amount of light it put out. I will try and find a link for it.

Did that frame also have sparkly diamonds around it???

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys!

@Rivier - This is another thing I have thought of, but am worried about whether it will put out enough light. These are the bars I have found. Do you have any suggestions on which would work best?

@Denali - As I mentioned, I've already tried a certain LED (linked in OP), which was just not enough, and I am not interested in replacing that $40 without $50 of potentially the same thing. And about the light bar, again I am just worried that it won't be enough. Thanks though.

@Livingez - Now that is something I never even considered. Did some looking, and found this frame, which seems to be, well, perfect. Unfortunately it is out of stock, but I will do some more in depth searching later on to find one, or see about a back order.

Also, I was looking at the off road lights at superbrightleds, and found these. More specifically I am looking at the rectangular ones. Would you guys suggest this, or would rectangular fog housings be better?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable