Ice on windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
HI,
Because your winter are more heavier and snowy than ours, you may be more experienced and told me a few trick.

How do you manage to get rid of the ice that is pressed down by the windshield wiper on the lower part of the windshield?
In heavy snow fall, you gotta get out every half an hour to remove it... It's boring (and freezing!)

I know some states does not salt roads in winter. How do you drive on icy roads? Do you use chains? Or thos new kind of wheel socks?

chevy529

Reaction score
I live in Northern Canada so I have some experience with icy roads etc. but I'm not sure what you are asking?

If you want to know how I deal with ice build up BELOW the wiper ... I don't. It isn't in my vision. I ignore it. It doesn't affect me in any way unless it is blocking air flow through your cowl. If it is you have a defrost problem. I've never had it happen.

As for driving on icy roads, I drive .... carefully. No sudden movements of the steering wheel, be cognizant of what your vehicle is doing. No sudden braking. If you let off the throttle and you start to skid, you steer into the skid and gently apply throttle to straighten out. Pretend you have a full champagne glass on your dash.

I've used chains but only when I drove a 2 wheel drive and that was 2x in 20 years. I've used chains on heavy trucks however. Often.

If you need chains on a passenger vehicle ... stay home. Unless it's a hospital you are going to.

But if you NEED chains buy a REAL set. Not those goofy cable chain things. Socks? Seriously?

Trygg brand from Norway makes excellent chains. If you have enough clearance. Check your countries laws about chain use.

And finally, speed is your enemy. Get there late but get there alive!

EDIT: I just noticed you are from a ski resort. So heavy wet snow or white out conditions must be common. I've only been caught in that condition once. My driver side wiper came out of the socket so I just pulled off the road for 20 minutes. I don't honestly think there is much you can do to defend yourself from having to stop and clear your vision in that instance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Driving advice are wise. That's what I do already. Last sunday I had to drive on a small raod that has at leats 30 cm of snow. The 4x4 mode made me able to get to my rendez-vous point.
I had to ask about socks. they are expensives so I need to now if they are really efficient or if it's just another marketing trick to make us spend our hard-earned money.

Last week snow fall remind me of what happened last year when I had to drive in a heavy snow fall. THe wiper oucldn't wipe its usuall area of the windshield.
I've fount chinese(!) heater that you stick at the inside bottom of the windshield. I had hope that someone tried this.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
HI,
Because your winter are more heavier and snowy than ours, you may be more experienced and told me a few trick.

How do you manage to get rid of the ice that is pressed down by the windshield wiper on the lower part of the windshield?
In heavy snow fall, you gotta get out every half an hour to remove it... It's boring (and freezing!)

I know some states does not salt roads in winter. How do you drive on icy roads? Do you use chains? Or thos new kind of wheel socks?
I do a lot of highway driving in ice and snow in a 2016 Yukon Denali. The ice under the wipers has not been a problem. But I have found problematic the ice that collects on the left side of the windshield. The left wiper pushes the snow and ice to the left. Eventually it builds up and the wiper cannot travel all the way to the left. I've wondered whether that could damage the wiper motor. I actually stop every few miles and scrape away the excess ice. Does anyone else experience this?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i plowed snow for like 25 years, you get out with a small ice scrapper and knock that off. that happens to all cars and trucks. the wipers push snow down there, what else is is to do but build up?

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I keep the defrost on for a bit, that small build up under my wipers usually melts off. I’ve had a pretty mild winter so far, but between all wheel drive and good all terrain tires I haven’t met a situation in snow that my 2006 Denali xl couldn’t handle, nor have I used chains. On the rare occasion that I need to travel off the mountain in a snowstorm or aftermath and CalTrans is requiring chains on non 4x4s, I will throw the old set that i had for my Durango, in the back just Incase they ask to see if I’m carrying chains. But I’ve never actually opened them. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmatson

Latest posts