I need some insight on a motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
To the OP, if you want to get bang for the buck... leave the engine in there, do a 4L80e swap, swap the factory "posi" out for a good aftermarket unit, and build or buy a cheap turbo kit. I will posy a video link to a Yukon XL that makes 450ish at the tires with a STOCK 5.3 and a turbo kit. He probably makes more but at the time of the video he didn't know that it was AWD so he was burning up the transfer case on the dyno.

Uncle Rob Yukon XL 5.3 dyno
I don't know if you read it, just throwing this info out, but I think my crank is lobing. That's why I'm wanting to do something with the engine, I think I might wait for tax season, get a secondary vehicle and then either wait for the Yukon to give and repair it or just start fixing her up once I get a secondary vehicle

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
To me, the main thing is, if doing a performance motor swap, you better make sure the steering/suspension/brakes/transmission can handle that performance. Otherwise, is a waste of time and money.
Yes, but I think it may be something I have to plan out thoroughly

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you read it, just throwing this info out, but I think my crank is lobing.
So while it is possible to bend the crank snout... you would have had to done it yourself. So have you somehow jacked the vehicle up by the crankshaft?
My money is on deterioration of the rubber between the 2 halves of the balancer causing the outer portion to wobble. Thus giving the bent effect when running.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So while it is possible to bend the crank snout... you would have had to done it yourself. So have you somehow jacked the vehicle up by the crankshaft?
My money is on deterioration of the rubber between the 2 halves of the balancer causing the outer portion to wobble. Thus giving the bent effect when running.
Sorry if it hurts anyone's sensitivity meter but you gotta be some kind of special stupid to jack up at the harmonic balancer/crank pulley.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it hurts anyone's sensitivity meter but you gotta be some kind of special stupid to jack up at the harmonic balancer/crank pulley.
I was a teen and jacked my mom’s minivan on the oil pan. That sounded horrendous when I started it up. And then I learned how to replace an oil pan. Pride and wallet hurt but learned a lesson. Hahaha

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was a teen and jacked my mom’s minivan on the oil pan. That sounded horrendous when I started it up. And then I learned how to replace an oil pan. Pride and wallet hurt but learned a lesson. Hahaha
I have jacked up at the oil pan, for just a couple minutes, as long as I used a large enough piece of wood to distribute the force.

Before I get too far with this comment, it was a 4 cylinder engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
I do need to replace the front main seal and harmonic balancer, but fortunately I know not to jack it up at the harmonic balancer

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have jacked up at the oil pan, for just a couple minutes, as long as I used a large enough piece of wood to distribute the force.

Before I get too far with this comment, it was a 4 cylinder engine.
Okay, so I would start with replacing the balancer before being too worried that the crank is bent. I honestly think it is probably okay.
And to be clear, I wasn't really suggesting you did jack the vehicle up by the crankshaft, just stating that is what would be required to bend the snout.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
Okay, so I would start with replacing the balancer before being too worried that the crank is bent. I honestly think it is probably okay.
And to be clear, I wasn't really suggesting you did jack the vehicle up by the crankshaft, just stating that is what would be required to bend the snout
Well I definitely am gunna be replacing it hopefully soon and ya I understand that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColonelAngus918

Latest posts