I need help choosing tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for re-posting!

I tried running this in the exterior forum and got a lot of looks but no replys.

I will be installing the CCM 2.5/1 leveling kit on my 07 Z71 next weekend. I'm pretty sure that I will immediately want some bigger/ more aggressive looking tires. I'm not really interested in Mud terrains, don't want the noise, wear, loss in fuel mileage, etc. I have been looking at several all terrain tires, today it seems I'm most interested in the Cooper Zeon LTZ's. I will be keeping the stock 18" wheels and it appears the biggest Zeon size available for these wheels is 285/60R18 (diameter-31.5", width-11.4". Will this look big enough? Anyone have any pics of 285/60R18's with the CCM 2.5/1 (or similar) with the stock 18's? ***edit*** now that I've looked under the Light truck category on Cooper's website, I've found there's another size available for the 18's

Current tire: Dueler A/T 265/65R18, Diameter-31.54"

AT's on my short list:
Cooper Zeon LTZ: LT275/70R18, Diameter-33.15" Width-11.1"
Terra Grapplers: Many sizes to consider... looking at the LT285/65R18 E125R, Diameter-32.52" Width-11.22"
BFG TA KO: A few sizes to consider... looking at the LT285/65R18/E 125 R, Diameter-32.7" Width-11.5"
GY Duratracs: a few sizes to consider... looking at the LT295/65R18, Diameter-33.1" Width-11.8"
Open to suggestions...

Anyone know what the biggest diameter and width combinations (in inches) are that can be put an a Tahoe with the CCM 2.5/1 which will have no rubbing or just minimal rubbing possibly requiring minimal trimming. Note, I will not be "mudding" or doing any extreme off-roading. Whatever I do, I want to do it right. If it costs a few extra bucks to be "perfect", so be it. If I have to do some minimal trimming that's ok but I don't want to go hacking the thing up. I'd be looking for advice here if I have to trim. I'm not looking for a monster truck, but those fender flares on the Z71 beg for a bigger / more agressive looking tire. :grd:

Here are some picks of my Hoe before the leveling and tires...

IA6114 044.jpg

IA6114 047.jpg

IA6114 052.jpg

IA6114 055.jpg

IA6114 030.jpg

Joshin33

Reaction score
I am currently in a similar situation only would be wrapping 20" LTZ wheels. I bought them from someone who just put XD wheels and Terra Grapplers on his. He said they wore pretty quick even with rotation. I am considering the Cooper Zeon and the BFG Rugged Terrain. You may want to give those a look. My main reasoning for those is they give a slightly more aggressive look but still have a mileage warranty where the Zeon doesn't. Best of luck and I will be following to see what you decide. Make sure ant take pics when done!

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a similar situation only would be wrapping 20" LTZ wheels. I bought them from someone who just put XD wheels and Terra Grapplers on his. He said they wore pretty quick even with rotation. I am considering the Cooper Zeon and the BFG Rugged Terrain. You may want to give those a look. My main reasoning for those is they give a slightly more aggressive look but still have a mileage warranty where the Zeon doesn't. Best of luck and I will be following to see what you decide. Make sure ant take pics when done!

Thanks, will do. I ran 2 sets of BFG TA KO's on my Tacoma over the last 9 years. Couldn't have been happier with them. The first set lasted 5 years for 60K. The second set was 4 years old with 30K on them when I sold the truck and still had more than half the tread left. I may give more thought to these. Granted, I know they'll wear faster on the heavier Tahoe.

I guess what I'm really looking for here is the max overall diameter and width (in inches) of tire that can be put on a Tahoe with the CCM 2.5/1 and have minimal to no rubbing...

Ziggy2079

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like your direction and would offer an opinion except I went straight to 305.

.. either way she's going to look good! My vote is TKO!:beer:

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your direction and would offer an opinion except I went straight to 305.

.. either way she's going to look good! My vote is TKO!:beer:

Ziggy, do you have a 2.5/1 level? What is the rest of the spec on your tires? Do you have rubbing? Pictures?

Ziggy2079

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ziggy, do you have a 2.5/1 level? What is the rest of the spec on your tires? Do you have rubbing? Pictures?

Yes I have CCM, 305/55/20. You'd have to trim with 305. Z71 Screams 305!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here lately now I am leaning towards the Trail Grappler 285/65R18. I didn't want MTs but dangit those things are sexy on a Tahoe with the CCM 2.5/1.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed my CCM 2.5/1 the other day and had BFG AT 285/65/18's put on. Install took about 2 hours with 2 people. Ride and driveability are same as stock. Alignment toe was off but corrected after new tires got an alignment. Hope this helps.
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/1593/noic.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/3954/a9vr.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img855/5829/dnnz.jpg

Looks great! What did the tires run you out the door if you don't mind me asking?

CAgilbuena

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone with 17's? Some say 33"s will fit some say you need to trim on the 2.5 1.5 kit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20