I HATE THE AFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks that is awesome and just what I am looking for. Can't wait to hear back from them so I can drive my Hoe like she was meant to be ridden :)

One more point on this, they will retune you forever for free if your setup changes. Can't beat that. You get bigger wheels, retune. Decide to throw in some headers, retune. Black Bear tune is a no brainer.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Bear Tune FTW!! Range device is good too ,if you choose to go that route. These guys above you have the best info already. Good luck!

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Range AFM Disable is temporary. This may be good or bad, depending on your situation. If you're still under warranty and you go to the dealership, just unplug it from the OBD port and all is back to factory. If you never plan on taking your vehicle to the dealership, I would recommend an actual "tune" which is reprogramming the ECM. This can delete the AFM rather than simply disabling it. Also it can change your shift points. The problem with these vehicles isn't really the engine or transmission but the factory tuning required to meet EPA standards. It really makes them pretty gutless. I had a local shop that specializes in Engine Performance tune mine. They used DiabloSport.

OP
OP
hairscramlber

hairscramlber

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Cant wait to get mine dialed in. I almost hate driving it with the AFM:boti:

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
superchips programmer allows you to delete it..did both mine

morriskb

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Cant wait to get mine dialed in. I almost hate driving it with the AFM:boti:
If you're in or near the St. Louis area, Performance by Joe (PBJ) does a great tune and will eliminate AFM. He did a fantastic job with my Denali XL. Better shift points, more power and increased MPG

randyg

Reaction score
What can I do to disable this or get rid of it. My 2011 suburban with the 5.3 runs way worse than my 2005 did. Also are there any good tuning kits to get my 5.3 to have a little more oomphh ??Please help.
I just returned from a 4K mile road trip in my 2011 Yukon 5.3 using the Range Technology device. It works well, no fuss, I am still under extended warranty so I unplug it when going in for service.

mt.davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had GMs my whole life and recently picked up a 2007 Tahoe LTZ w/ 130k miles in mint condition for $4k from a friend that had depreciated it through his business and was basically dumping it. Aside from a CCM leveling kit and BFG A/T's I do not plan to add any additional mods.

I'm new to the tune scene but based on this thread it looks like Black Bear is the way to go and will cost $600 at most. Is there any reason NOT to get a BB tune?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had GMs my whole life and recently picked up a 2007 Tahoe LTZ w/ 130k miles in mint condition for $4k from a friend that had depreciated it through his business and was basically dumping it. Aside from a CCM leveling kit and BFG A/T's I do not plan to add any additional mods.

I'm new to the tune scene but based on this thread it looks like Black Bear is the way to go and will cost $600 at most. Is there any reason NOT to get a BB tune?
nope. no reason not to get a tune. will be money well spent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz