Hub bearing question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musicman

Reaction score
04 yukon denali xl

Is replacing the hub bearing a do it yourself kind of job, or should I take it in? I have some mechanical ability, but am not a hard core wrench turner.

Thanks for any opinions.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should go to local parts store, buy the wheel bearing and a Haynes manual take them home.

Open the manual read how to change the wheel bearing. Go outside, take the front tire off look at the pictures, compare with your manual. Realize you can do it. Do the job when your ready.

One week later, open manual to random section, read something else that's in need of repair and do it too.

You will most likely find you enjoy it, find it pretty easy and save a few bucks on some other repairs too!

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Its not hard if you have the right tools and a little patience.

OP
OP
M

musicman

Reaction score
That's actually good to hear. I don't mind doing the work, I just don't want to get in over my head. I'll look at both the parts and the manual. Ryan, is there a better manual than they Hayes, or a digital one? Does it matter if its Chilton or Hayes? Thanks.

BTW if I do decide to tackle this, I'll take pics and do a write up for the tech section.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Ontario, the Haynes is readily available. Chillton not so much, so I just said Haynes.

To answer your question, yes, Haynes or Chilton.

There's few more digital ones too, someone might suggest some........

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an extremely easy and straight forward job. Just be sure you get a big enough socket to get the nut off that is holding the rotor and hub on. I believe the size on the NNBS is 32mm. not sure about NBS

...also, moving this thread to the proper section.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it really is a easy job, the big 32mm socket is a must and a breaker bar. make sure you loosen the big nut before you raise the truck up, if you dont you will have to have someone stand on the brake pedal while you break it loose. it does take a TORX socket to get the caliper off.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since were on topic of bearings how bout the rear ones?

rocketman76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed one on 2008 Yukon Denali XL AWD. This is how I did it and I am not a mechanic by trade so I am not responsible for any damages or injuries.

TOOLS:
Car Jack
Jack Stand
Wheel Shock
36mm socket
18 inch 1/2 breaker bar
10mm shallow socket
1/4 inch drive ratchet
15mm shallow socket
3/8 drive ratchet, long handle for torque
6 zip ties
Diagonal cutters, (remove zip ties)
Penetrating Lubricant
Brake Cleaner
Torque wrench, can't recall.

1. Remove wheel center cap. (flat head screwdriver)
2. Loosen the 36mm hub nut. (36mm socket and 18 inch 1/2 breaker bar, rented 36mm from Auto Zone)
3. Set emergency brake, raise vehicle in a flat solid surface, remove wheel. (car jack, jack stands 3 ton, wheel blocks)
4. Continue removing 36mm hub nut. (36mm socket and 18 inch breaker bar)

YOU MAY NEED SOMEONE TO PUSH BRAKE PEDAL ON 2WD

5. Remove 10mm ABS sensor bracket bolt. (10 mm socket and 1/4 inch ratchet)
6. Remove 2x brake caliper 15mm bolts and zip tie to upper spring coil. (15mm socket and 3/8 drive ratchet, 2 zip ties, diagonal cutters)
7. Remove brake rotor Torx 8? screw. (Torx 8 wrench)
8. Using an oil free rag remove rotor and place on the ground flat on the outer part of the rotor. (clean rag)
9. Spray penetrating oil where axle shaft and hub join. (Sea Foam Deep Creep)
10. Spray penetrating oil on the thread side of 3 hub screws. (Sea Foam Deep Creep)

LET IT WORK ITS MAGIC

11. Clean loose debris around ABS sensor. (plastic bristle brush)
12. Remove ABS sensor screw and sensor. (use a five point bit or I used a flat head screwdriver)

CAREFULL NOT TO KINK, PINCH or CUT!

13. Remove 3x 15mm bolts holding hub bearing. (15mm shallow socket, 3/8 drive long handle ratchet)

NOTE: USE BRAKE CLEANER TO REMOVE PENETRATING OIL ON BOLTS.

14. Lightly, evenly tap hub to release. (ball peen hammer)
15. Replace in reverse order, sorry no torque specs.

demarest652

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the torque specs are 135 on the 3 hub bolts and 177 on the 36mm i just did mine the other day and I looked the torque specs up on the forum somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukon DRL

Latest posts