How to reset your change oil warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnE_bAd_HoE

Reaction score
well i took my car to get a oil change the other day.And they forgot to reset my oil change warning.

So i figured id post it for the people that like to change their own oil

here ya go

1. Turn ignition key to ON position (do not start)
2. Depress accelerator pedal three times within 10 seconds
3. Watch DIC for reset notice
4. Turn off ignition, or repeat above steps if you screwed it up

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure that will work, but there is an easier way on the Tahoe that doesn't involve fighting with the gas peddle :Handshake:

The Engine Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message coming on, reset the system. Always reset the engine oil life to 100% after every oil change. It will not reset itself. To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:

1. Display the OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC.

2. Press and hold the SET/RESET button on the DIC, or the trip odometer reset stem if your vehicle does not have DIC buttons, for more than five seconds. The oil life will change to 100%.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the Engine Oil Life System has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

OP
OP
OnE_bAd_HoE

OnE_bAd_HoE

Reaction score
Wish i would of known this before :emotions122:
it took me like 3 days to figure this out but i guess that's what i get for not playing with my her buttons.lol

Thanks freak Aka ----

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah just hold the check button when you are at the screen for like 10 seconds, and voila, new oil! ha

piarussell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you OnE_bAd_HoE for sharing the information with us. In connection with oil changing, let me share you this. Most experts now saw that the old 3,000 mile rule for oil changes is over-kill. However, none will reason that typical oil changes are still of the most important ways to keep your vehicle running for as long as possible. On the other hand, several people think they have to take it to a professional when in reality, it's a fairly simple job, and could be done a lot more inexpensively at home. Check this out: Changing oil is not rocket science. That will supplement you sufficient information about oil changing.

Now, what is the bottomline here? Your dollars for the oil and filter will be saved. Another way of not expending too much! Isn't that awesome?

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shit, my 6.0 has a bit of a leak, so i have to ad a quart every 2k miles...i think im was on10k this oil change besides adding some oil here and there. i beat the living piss out of my truck, and i have never had an issue..it was a junkyard 6.0 with 100k on it..and i use walmart supertech with a cheap fram filter..i cut the filter apart and never saw a problem..ive seen people run the ******* low and the light come on, just add some oil and no problem...i agree its a good thing to do, but 3k is rediculous with the types of oil that are out now

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the best way to go

thanks for posting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645