How to improve fuel economy on 03 tahoe 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lessor1007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any thoughts on BEST way to immediately improve fuel economy? I know intake should help by 1-2mpg, how about all the reprogramming factory setting gadgets they have out there or the electric fans that also improve mpg. Just got this thing and 13-16mpg I know could be improved.

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my immediate improvements on my 03 was from a cai WITH a tune, tune up(incl tb cleaning)/seafoam, fuel filter(would help but mine was stuck), new fluids in diffs/trans/transfer case and air in my tires! My tires were down over 13psi ea and I think every 10psi is like .5mpg decrease!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lessor1007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sea Foam

I've heard alot about the sea foam, how exactly do you go about doing that?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out youtube, there are a bunch of folks that have taken videos of their seafoaming events!!

OP
OP
L

Lessor1007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm doing plugs, wires and usual stuff tommorow, but looking to get up into 19 mpg range if possible, although i might be smoking crack.

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard alot about the sea foam, how exactly do you go about doing that?

I have always put a can into the gas tank with a fill up, then usually runa can through the pcv hose on the tb. Most people unhook the vacuum hose from the brake booster but imo the fluid stays towards the back of the manifold so I prefer to run it up front through the tb. with the engine running slowly pour it into a hose that plugs into the vacuum hose or tb pvc hose and just pour enough to keep it running. When you get to the last 1/4 of the can pour it faster until the truck stalls out and let it sit. I usually clean the tb next and change plugs then start it up and let it smoke the neighbors out! A few beat down runs helps blow out any other smoke left over.

I would also check out your 02's. Dont worry about the rear ones, its the front ones that affect your tune and mpg. I didnt know how old mine were as the motor had 165k on it so I swapped em both out anyway. They may not throw a code yet but it does diminish over time and will affect your mpg for a bit before they finally stop working. Ftr, when I had my tune done, it was tuned for 87oct and anything above that doesnt improve my mpg at all and as it is it pushes 28* of timing with NO knock retard.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tune, cai and tuneup if high mileage. Tune I gained alot more power, and 1-2 MPG...mine around town averages the same as yours, 13-16....

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing plugs, wires and usual stuff tommorow, but looking to get up into 19 mpg range if possible, although i might be smoking crack.

Yes you are brotha :mexsmoke:

B

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
You drive a mobile island :), don't expect to get 20+ MPG in town on average haha

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Your right foot is the biggest factor..... if you do all the things you mentioned and keep the RPMs under 2K closer to 1500 you might be able to hit 19 city but you'll need to do a lot of coasting.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barakawins