how to better clean an old K&N air filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heftylefty58

Reaction score
The previous owner of my 2003 Yukon Denali had already installed a K&N air filter, so I bought K&N's 99-5050 cleaning kit when I bought the car.

When following the directions for the kit, I will say that the Filter Cleaner does an excellent job getting rid of the old red K&N oil.

However, I can't seem to improve the dirtier areas that are dark gray:

I've already focused the cleaner on the more stubborn areas a couple times in the above pics. Any tips for doing a better job in those stubborn areas? Or, do you not bother cleaning it any more thoroughly than what you see in my pics?

Last edited:

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Looks clean to me buddy.. I got one of those in my 94, it looks like that after I clean it.

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree mine looks cleaner than that. Don't get me wrong I don't think that is bad. I just know mine does not have left over dirt like that. I usually only rinse it from the inside out to avoid embedding the dirt deep into the cone. This maybe what has happened here. just my opinion.

dstratltr450

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty clean idk i always clean mine in a parts washer then water then air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fafafyfy