How much extra power can one make without unwanted wear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
I read someone with a 6.2 who got a Black Bear tune, not much else. Maybe CAI, exhaust as well? Regardless, he wrote that he had to start replacing motor mounts frequently, as the was too much torque hitting the chassis.

I don't want to use a single stranger's story as my guide, so let me ask this: is this problem feasible on my Yukon 6.2? I want things to run better, not worse. Aiming for >300k miles before swapping in a turnkey factory motor.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a tune only? Engine only or you talking overall vehicle? I doubt that's going to make much difference in the life of the engine. Afterall, how much more can you actually gain from only a tune? HP/TQ-wise? 20-30 HP maybe? IDK.

What would matter more are things like regular maintenance such as regular oil changes and driving styles. Lot's of highway miles vs mostly city driving miles idling in bumber-to-bumper traffic. Heavy towing? Lugging the engine (loading the engine below the powerband RPM) regularly? Driving like a madman doing donuts every night on the way to Starbucks?

"Power adders" like superchargers, turbocharger or nitrous is what will shorten the life of an engine as it puts much higher stress on everything on the engine. Maybe if you do a radical high lift cam swap also? If you are not doing any of that, I wouldn't worry about it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you could add a sail to it without any extra wear,
but otherwise ya the motor mounts are liquid filled and are a failure point eventually, the fix as already noted it to use the Hummer H2 solid mounts.
other failure points are the torque converter in the 6l80, the fix is to replace it with a billet converter before it begins to fail
otherwise you just have typical stuff that fails over time usually tied directly to the mileage driven.
there really isnt anything inherently wrong with the gmt900's otherwise than some sticky lifters that can happen from the dod and failure to maintain the vehicle with regular oil changes (some have associated it with dirty oil)

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read someone with a 6.2 who got a Black Bear tune, not much else. Maybe CAI, exhaust as well? Regardless, he wrote that he had to start replacing motor mounts frequently, as the was too much torque hitting the chassis.

I don't want to use a single stranger's story as my guide, so let me ask this: is this problem feasible on my Yukon 6.2? I want things to run better, not worse. Aiming for >300k miles before swapping in a turnkey factory motor.
Check out Atomic Fab poly mounts, will help ride and never need repair https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/07-14-gmt900-poly-motor-mounts/

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'know, you could ... also ... um ... not stomp on the throttle like you're trying to ****** a hissing cockroach?
Roll into it, if y'know what I mean?

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Y'know, you could ... also ... um ... not stomp on the throttle like you're trying to ****** a hissing cockroach?
Roll into it, if y'know what I mean?

Old Friend: Moments like this really make it look life your handle is "Marky DISSED" :cool:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point was that the reason why that other guy needed new motor mounts was not because his tune removed the torque management.
It was because he stomped on the throttle like M. Bison stomping on another street fighter's head.
He could've left torque mngmnt in the tune, or, he could've rolled on the throttle.

The driver is always the most important mod.

And for the record, every new yorker has myrdyrrd hundreds of thousands of cockroaches.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I did the complete AFM removal with bushed rockers my own tune CAI and Gibson exhaust and according to the internal torque sensor, I’m making 464hp and 507ftlbs. I hit the go pedal pretty hard and I have over 214,000 miles and no problems. FYI if you do the AFM delete you can reduce the TC slippage and get amazing mileage. My best segment average is 28.1mpg. I love it that with over size tires, I get rubber in second in a full size SUV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork