How do I change front brake pads on a 2005 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

alamantia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drove it up to my dads shop and used an impact as suggested and they came out like butter. I bought 4 new slider pins from carquest for $18 that have the hex, no more torx, on a side note, you can get the pads out without removing the slider pins. You just have to remove the caliper bracket and pull the caliper out. The reason why I couldnt pull the caliper out was because the inner pad on the drivers side was siezed preventing me from sliding the caliper out. The passenger side came out easy and I was able to extract the pads without removing the slider bolts.

Thanks fo all your help and suggestions.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove it up to my dads shop and used an impact as suggested and they came out like butter. I bought 4 new slider pins from carquest for $18 that have the hex, no more torx, on a side note, you can get the pads out without removing the slider pins. You just have to remove the caliper bracket and pull the caliper out. The reason why I couldnt pull the caliper out was because the inner pad on the drivers side was siezed preventing me from sliding the caliper out. The passenger side came out easy and I was able to extract the pads without removing the slider bolts.

Thanks fo all your help and suggestions.

I'm glad it all worked out for you..

robertscottcostello

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I want to agree that it was easiest to remove the caliper bracket first, then use an impact wrench on the T55 Torx. The caliper bolts were also kind of tough to get off, but using a 1/2" socket, a breaker bar, and a swift kick down with my foot, they broke free.

stuckatcuse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried at lunch today to free my caliper bolts. The 18mm bracket bolts came out no problem with my impact wrench. The t55 bolts are no go. Going to put the bracket back on and wack it with a 3 lb hammer. I'll also try some heat. They are soaking in pb now. Any other advice? I should add that my (700 ft lb allegedly ) impact didnt budge them. Ugh.

Last edited:

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you messing with the Torx bolts? I've replaced my brake pads and rotors on my 2003 4wd and my mom's 2002 2wd Tahoe and never had to deal with a Torx bolt. You sure you can't just take the caliper and mounting bracket off as one piece (two 18mm bolts, IIRC)?

Re-read OP's first post. IIRC, the caliper will slide off of the pins, there isn't anything holding them together but friction on the pins. I could be wrong, but when I greased my caliper pins, I believe I just pulled them apart, with some effort and PB Blaster though, they hadn't been greased in years and years.

Last edited:

stuckatcuse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're right. I tried to take them out because that's what the directions told me to do! Anyway I got them out using some heat. All is well. Now if I could just do something about the spongy brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900