Hit Paydirt at Pick-n-pull today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Capt_Caveman

Capt_Caveman

Reaction score
I got the wire harness done and the seats installed. The power adjustments work fine but the heated part doesn't yet. Not quite sure what I'm missing.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your BCM reprogrammed by the dealer ($$$) or a BCM with your matching options & heated seats.

OP
OP
Capt_Caveman

Capt_Caveman

Reaction score
Your BCM reprogrammed by the dealer ($$$) or a BCM with your matching options & heated seats.

Omar,
Do you know if the heated seat option only shows on the computer if they are installed? I had the truck in for some an alignment and had the NAV radio VIN cleared. I had them look to see if they could enable the heated seats but the mechanic said he couldn't find anything. The seats were not installed yet so I am curious if the option won't show up without the under seat computer connected to the system? I don't want to waste a trip to the dealer if my BCM doesn't support the option for some reason.

If necessary I can go back to the pick-n-pull to see if the BCM is still in the donor truck.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are certain options that need to be "integrated", or "programmed" into your BCM by the dealer. The dealer hooks up your BCM to their main computer and downloads whatever RPO's (options) were added. After that, GM's/dealer's computers will now list your truck as having those options should any warranty/service work need to be done.

So you can add OEM heated seats, adjustable pedals, DIC, etc....but if the BCM is not re-programmed to recognize these "new" options, than they will not work.

Your mechanic friend is correct. Even though he has a Tech II, its not something he can do. GM has to authorize the programming and than give the dealer a programming code that will authorize a specific download for your truck ONLY.

Hopefully the donor truck matches all your options, plus heated seats/adjustable pedals. That's the risk you run with a used BCM, but you avoid dealer hassles.

BTW, there is a half hour procedure, that you can perform yourself, to mate the "new" BCM to your truck. After that, you will have to take your truck to your friend AGAIN because your radio will be theftlocked. Radio's are matched to BCM's.

OP
OP
Capt_Caveman

Capt_Caveman

Reaction score
That sounds like a real PITA. I might just forget the heated part and enjoy the power seats. lol

If I get a chance, I'll see if the BCM is still in the donor truck. It's options were almost identical to mine except for the seats, pedals and mirrors. Guess I can also check with the dealer to see how much $$$ to program my BCM.

BTW- how difficult is it to remove the BCM? I know it's under the dash. Does the panel below the steering wheel need to be removed or does it unbolt from below?

Last edited:

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lower panel does need to come off, disconnect 4 connectors, and than wiggle/slide it out towards the drivers seat.

If you don't do heated seats and if u ever sell your truck, yank out that harness. I will buy it off of you.

I have everything installed in my truck except the harness. Just haven't had time to locate one.

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
Get the roof rack too! You can sell that for good money since they are hard to come by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylentnite