High transmission temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today i was driving for about 20 minutes on the highway and i started to smell what i think was tranny fluid strong. My ac was on and windows were closed. I looked at my trans temp on the dic and it was at 205. I was not towing anything and i wasnt driving over 75. Is this normal??

Also idk if its related but ive been getting some sort of smell while i am accelerating heavily. For exanple while im going on an incline on a bridge near my house.

Also have a hunming noise coming from drivers side front. Either wheel bearing or maybe cv shaft. It starts over 35 and goes away if i veer the wheel to the right
Im not sure if these are related but any thoughts???

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 Denali would run pretty high Tans Temp wise even with no load I was up in the 210's. I got an auxiliary transmission cooler just to be safe and its great!

Sorry I can't help with the rest. My Audi has a transmission seal that leaks and I get a terrible smell from time to time.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also have a hunming noise coming from drivers side front. Either wheel bearing or maybe cv shaft. It starts over 35 and goes away if i veer the wheel to the right
Im not sure if these are related but any thoughts???

Symptomatic of a bad wheel bearing.

Last edited:

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Be sure to check your trans fluid level while you're idling. 205 isn't terrible, but it's higher than I've seen.. I think the highest I've seen not under load is 190-ish. Also crawl around under your truck and check the lines going from the radiator to the trans.

Edit: I was curious so I pushed the Suburban hard up a steep 4 mile mountain pass. The trans temp reached 205.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chetrick87

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 Denali would run pretty high Tans Temp wise even with no load I was up in the 210's. I got an auxiliary transmission cooler just to be safe and its great!

Sorry I can't help with the rest. My Audi has a transmission seal that leaks and I get a terrible smell from time to time.

Was it easy to install? It doesnt sound like a bad idea just to be safe.

Symptomatic of a bad wheel bearing.

Guess ill be replacing it. I looked up prices and theyre pretty damn expensive. Like 260 for the timken

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
im supercharged with no cooler and have been up to 210 on a hot summer day.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How Old is the fluid? I never went past 185 even on a long trip from jersey to georgia and so far after changing fluid never went passed 175.

OP
OP
Chetrick87

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am unsure how old the fluid is. I am considering taking it in for a filter and fluid service but i dont want to screw myself and have something go wrong when the fluid is changed. I havent smelled anything but the temp does get up there. Highest ive seen was 209 i believe.

The humming is gone since i changed my wheel bearing. I still have some other front end issue. My steering shaft boot under the hood is torn and i have a clunk when im turning the wheel.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with my new trans was out in in April, it would run near 210 under no loads on longer drives. I went with a tru cool 40k maxcool trans coolee. Its phenomenal. Even towing friends 6000lb speedboat I don't see temps above 170. So you should probably consider an upgraded trans cooler. Its Well worth the money. I'd say check your fluid and make sure it's at a good level. Needs to be right in the cross hatch marks on the dipstick. If,you're not noticing any odd or hard shifts,or its not shifting at the right time, than I'd say it's probably a fluid issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71