HID's went in... Photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Where would I get the led corner blinkers and the lights that turn on when in drive?

They are everywhere. Try ebay, for starters. Google is your friend, and there are a thousand places that sell them, so giving you one answer isn't really helpful.

The question is irrelevant to the thread, too. You may want to watch that or start a new thread in the future so you don't offend anyone.

Oh, the lights that turn on when in drive are called DRL's, or Daytime Running Lights...that will help you search for the right thing.

superbrightleds.com and v-leds.com are two commonly used sources with forum members.

droppedHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had depo's... they were good
but here's what i dont understand and DenaliAK please shed some light on is for me.
but i often see you and many others tell ppl not to put hid's in stock housings, get projectors etc...
i did and the cut off was better than stock. i wasnt just sending light all over the place. however i saw the road a lot better when i was just running crystal clear headlights vs the depo's (http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Custom/Headlights/Chrome-Clear-Headlights-Combo/534600/
(tahoe stock ones are rather foggy looking)

now i have a 06 navigator, which has stock hid (i just swapped the bulbs to 5000k) but the truck doesnt have projectors nor does anyone make projects from what ive seen for 03-06 navi's... but my cut off is better than the tahoe with depo's.
i see the street and lines much better and still never get flashed

so through that little rant, why is it ok for a navi to have hid's with out projectors but its not ok for a tahoe,yukon,etc...
btw my soon to wife (feb 18 getting married) has a 05 g35 and its stock hid as well with OUT projectors....
i just dont understand why its ok for vehicles to come from the factory with hid's with out projectors but shunned a pawn when it comes to adding some ddm's to a tahoe, yukon, burban etc..
is it how the housing is built or what? b/c they look like regular reflectors to me...could be wrong though

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
The short answer for now is it's all in the optics. Stock tahoe lights have crappy reflectors for HID's. Some reflectors work better than others at controlling the output light, and indeed some are even designed for HID's.

When it comes to seeing the road, the color plays a big role and is why I hate the blue tinted lights--they look cool and can be bright but they don't illuminate the road all that well, and if it's wet or rainy they are even worse. I always run 4500K or less because they provide the best and most usable light. There's a lot of science, light wavelengths that the human eye can see better than others, etc that play a major role.

I'll add more details later when I'm not on my cell phone...lol.

Continued...

Those Q45 headlights, if they are the gattling gun style, are actually one big projector with a bunch of small lenses instead of one big one. Really funky looking, not sure what the point of that is. But I digress....

One of the more fundamental differences in projectors (there are projectors for both HID and halogen bulbs) is that halogen projectors tend to focus and magnify the light in front of the vehicle, while HID projectors tend to focus and spread the light in a wide pattern, giving you a usable beam width and depth that can't be matched by a halogen bulb. I have usable light that extends a couple of lanes to each side of my truck. See the following picture for how wide the beam is. Then try this with a halogen light and compare.

DSC05762.jpg

There are very few HID reflector headlights out there. Those reflectors designed to control, focus, and provide a good cutoff. Cutoff is the biggest issue with reflectors, because most of them have no mechanism for this, relying solely on headlight adjustment. This is what keeps all of your light out of on-coming traffic's eyes. HID projectors have a cutoff shield, which provides sharp, distinct cutoff with virtually no light spill above the line.

DEPO's are often recommended because they have above average cutoff and spread for a cheap aftermarket light. They are not designed for HID's, though, and instead have halogen projectors. In essence, the projectors that are there, and the same can be said of all aftermarket projectors for these trucks, are made for a much weaker light source. I'd be interested to see a shot of the DEPO's without HID's, actually. The cutoff and brightness would be interesting, and a benchmark for comparison.

Bottom line is a typical Tahoe stock reflector with an HID capsule just blasts light all over the place. Yes, it might be brighter on the road, but it's brighter EVERYWHERE, including other people's eyes. The point of good projectors is to keep the light bright but out of other's eyes.

Last edited:

tucsonlocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the depo's and 6000k 35w DDM HID's.. They look sick. The cutoff adjustment for these headlights is really easy to help from blinding people. What I forgot to think about is the new headlight with clear, new plastic, when you drop the HID's in there it looks super clear and bright.. I will try to get some pics up..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewsTahoe