HID Reverse Lights Done The Right Way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oakrdrs187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello TYF

I finally got the bulbs I specifically wanted to put in my back up lights. They are H4-2 bulbs from VVME.
2011-01-12_21-17-47_46.jpg
What makes this bulbs different than other H4 HID bulbs is that has a dual function unlike the lesser quality ones that only have low beam functionality, also different from the DDM bulb it has a Halogen capsule attached for High Beam use, though not as bright as getting a BIXENON bulb that tilts to produce an HID high beam this bulb was merely intended for a car to pass inspection. BUT.....when the ideas of having HID reverse lights were being tossed around, I thought, like most of you, that cant possibly last, too much on/off and not enough actual running time for the ballasts is gonna kill them. I mean just getting from P to D right Through R, is gonna do it alone. Then I though of this bulb, (And taking over the world...) but for now just this bulb. I said "Self, we can make HID reverse work, while retaining the factory function of regular back up bulbs and adding HID when we want it." (Complete Evil look on my face).
So my project began, the halogen capsule is wired to the factory reverse lights, and the HID side to a toggle switch! Brilliant!!

So you will want to run a power wire from the dash to the back for powering the ballasts. Use a Relay
2011-01-12_21-18-54_40.jpg
with a toggle switch for the power, don't drive the ballasts with a straight switch, you will burn it.
This is the Rear Pass wheel well, wire and one of the zipties is visible.
2011-01-12_21-19-51_726.jpg
Here's mine just zip tied to wires already there.
2011-01-12_21-19-27_268.jpg

Next, you guessed it, tail light off! If you are Bruce Almighty, all you gotta do is say it.
2011-01-12_21-19-04_738.jpg
If you have checked the VVME website for these bulbs, by now you are wondering why H4 and not 9007 or H13, Here's the reason
2011-01-12_21-18-27_735.jpg
DONORS!!!
these are my stock eclipse headlights, I knew not to throw those out yet!!!
2011-01-12_21-18-35_532.jpg
Removed the retaining clips, which will be stretched to fit this application, but did hold the bulb very well against me intentionally tugging to pull it off.
2011-01-12_21-43-33_76.jpg
End Result
So My Criminal Mastermind forgot to get silicone to seal these, there is a GAP left between the bulb and base that will need to be sealed to keep weather, dust, rats, mice and the mother in law out of the housing.
2011-01-12_21-44-09_254.jpg
(I must have passed by them damned thing at the autozone 5 times!)
:emotions122:
Anyway by this time it was 11PM and too late to go buy it, luckily this is a step that's as easy as changing a brake light.
Next Ballasts Need to be tucked away
2011-01-12_21-51-25_914.jpg
So sexy, it's like she was made for HID but wasn't a dealer option
Next up, wire the halogen capsules to the stock Reverse light wiring, plug in your HID bulbs and very important, notice MY ground, it's been scarped to ensure proper contact.
2011-01-12_22-19-09_488.jpg
Now to the other side, just tap the power wire from one side to the other, and repeat the process. I will post more HID pics this weekend.

MISC Pictures:
2011-01-12_21-20-46_710.jpg
BTW I left the shield on because I needed the spacing from the base of it, otherwise it will be at an angle, either way super bright.
2011-01-12_21-47-18_183.jpg
2011-01-12_22-11-36_676.jpg
2011-01-12_22-34-21_338.jpg
2011-01-12_22-39-22_25.jpg
2011-01-12_23-04-22_655.jpg
2011-01-12_22-20-22_775.jpg
2011-01-12_22-21-03_265.jpg

I cant tell which of the above pics is halogen and HID, they are both really bright, since the halogen capsule is 55w.

One other very important thing, that I will take more pictures of,

I used 2 more relays to isolate the halogen capsules from being on with the HID bulbs, as this would cause a HUGE amount of heat for such a small space. when the truck is in Reverse and I want to use HIDS, the same power wire to the ballasts triggers the relays and cuts off power to the halogen capsules.

See Video

[yt]IW5PQ7UWlYw[/yt]

Last edited:

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID runs pretty cool...shouldn't be even close to melting...

OP
OP
oakrdrs187

oakrdrs187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do get warm, but I remember the stock 3157's getting just as warm when I used the switch on them and left them on as long as I leave the HID's. Also once you have this mod, you're very self conscious about the temperature, so you will try not to leave them on so long.

OP
OP
oakrdrs187

oakrdrs187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a video of my HID reverse lights. Done with the intention of blinding tailgaters and to see through 5% Tint when backing up. I did this "the right way" by connecting a separate switch to the HID's, and keeping a filament bulb as the reverse gear light so I don't mess up my ballasts by constantly shifting to reverse or straight to Drive and causing a quick flash. The first light you see is the 55 watt filament bulb which is also recorded flashing (may appear a bit yellow or amber at times, but trust me it's white and bright too). I never flash the HIDS though, I also Have a separate button (not toggle switch) that when pressed and releases it flashes the filament bulb as a warning, as seen in the video. If the tailgater has not responded satisfactory to the halogen bulb flashes, that's when the HID's come on. Also you will see that When the HID's come on the filament bulbs cut out, and they come back on when the HID's are off. Done with relays to prevent too much heat in the small compartment. In the video it sometimes seems the halogens are HIDS because you see them dim and get bright, but its just the auto focus.

[yt]IW5PQ7UWlYw[/yt]

Remember, The first lights that come on in the video are the Halogens then the HIDS come on. Halogens too are very bright when backing up.

Last edited:

vipergtsr96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a video of my HID reverse lights. Done with the intention of blinding tailgaters and to see through 5% Tint when backing up. I did this "the right way" by connecting a separate switch to the HID's, and keeping a filament bulb as the reverse gear light so I don't mess up my ballasts by constantly shifting to reverse or straight to Drive and causing a quick flash. The first light you see is the 55 watt filament bulb which is also recorded flashing (may appear a bit yellow or amber at times, but trust me it's white and bright too). I never flash the HIDS though, I also Have a separate button (not toggle switch) that when pressed and releases it flashes the filament bulb as a warning, as seen in the video. If the tailgater has not responded satisfactory to the halogen bulb flashes, that's when the HID's come on. Also you will see that When the HID's come on the filament bulbs cut out, and they come back on when the HID's are off. Done with relays to prevent too much heat in the small compartment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW5PQ7UWlYw

This is such a useful tool, and done with so much creativity. I have seen other HID reverse light installs on the forum, but none of them done like this. This makes those other setups look... well lazy, (not looking to start something) I'm just blown away right now.

I have only word..... Genius!!

OP
OP
oakrdrs187

oakrdrs187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. If you have any questions, or anyone for that matter feel free to pm or post on here.

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
This is AWESOME.

Very nicely done. I'm sorta blown away, too. I like the flash warning...what a good idea.

So...I want you to do this for me, k? I don't fully understand how you did this, and I'm not an electrical genius, but I think this a great mod. And having to back up in the dark a LOT in the winter up here, the extra light in back would be helpful.

OP
OP
oakrdrs187

oakrdrs187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is AWESOME.

Very nicely done. I'm sorta blown away, too. I like the flash warning...what a good idea.

So...I want you to do this for me, k? I don't fully understand how you did this, and I'm not an electrical genius, but I think this a great mod. And having to back up in the dark a LOT in the winter up here, the extra light in back would be helpful.

This is very basic compared to your tsx retrofit, pm me I will walk you throught every step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n