Hi oil pressure & pressure with engine off???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddyrim

Reaction score
Suddenly today, my oil gauge started to climb and was right at 550. I happened to be by a service station so I pulled in. Was down a quart so I topped it off, but noticed that as soon as I turn the ignition to the ‘on’ position, I have oil pressure showing at 275 (engine not running), which is right around normal if the engine is actually running. But how can I have oil pressure with the engine off???

Now it seems no matter what, when I’m driving the gauge is pegged at 550.

Any idea what is happening???

ABA9B5F1-D861-4D94-9B38-4D7A00A7F46C.jpeg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Usually the sending unit, sometimes the stepper motor on the gauge. Change the sender first with only AC Delco part and see if it fixes it. Cheap and easy.

OP
OP
daddyrim

daddyrim

Reaction score
Yes check engine light is on, but my code reader failed on me so I can’t check the code. Will be looking at getting one tonight. The more I read intend to agree that it’s probably a sending unit. Will be trying to replace it at the next possible opportunity.

Hopefully that’s all it is as I still have to get to work with it!

Dillon2222

Reaction score
I would def replace the oil pressure sending unit. mine did that but it was pegged all the way or at 0. They are a pain in the ass to change but that fixed my problem. if you change it yourself, have patience when doing it as it is in a tight spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohccammer427