"Helper" leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seen them advertised, never installed. I think I'd just get some heavier springs

arb905

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have been used for used on heavy duty trucks. In most cases, the helper spring is active until it startes to arc. My dad's dodge and my old F350 have a similar version of an overload spring.

Why be scared? If you do alot of towing or heavy loads with a light duty truck, it saves the trouble of having to use a weight distibution hitch.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to junkyard, get a couple (matching) leaves from almost any truck with the same spring width.
Measure spring lengths so that they will slip in between your stock leaves, cut with cutoff saw, grind edges smooth.
Disassemble stock leaf pack, slip new leaves in, use longer center pin bolt to align.
Bolt rear axle back in, using longer (and NEW) u-bolts.

Did this with mine, slipped 3 leaves in between each of the stock 4 leaves. Gained about 2 1/2" of lift in the rear, along with a considerable increase in load capability, and much less sway when cornering. I don't think I spent $100 for everything.

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Central Coast (SLO county), California.
Go to junkyard, get a couple (matching) leaves from almost any truck with the same spring width.
Measure spring lengths so that they will slip in between your stock leaves, cut with cutoff saw, grind edges smooth.
Disassemble stock leaf pack, slip new leaves in, use longer center pin bolt to align.
Bolt rear axle back in, using longer (and NEW) u-bolts.

Did this with mine, slipped 3 leaves in between each of the stock 4 leaves. Gained about 2 1/2" of lift in the rear, along with a considerable increase in load capability, and much less sway when cornering. I don't think I spent $100 for everything.

Ha! I like this idea! Especially because I kind of want to do my own lifting on the truck. Sometimes kits, it's sometimes hard to tell exactly what's going to happen when installed. Just look at Brandon X and the 3" RCX lift.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I first did this with my old '88 S-10 Blazer, added 2 leaves - gained about 2".

Did it with my '90 2wd Suburban, added 4 leaves between the 5-leaf pack... and gained about 7"! had to use square-shoulder U-bolts, clamped the leaves down a bit and got the ass end down to about 4" over stock. But, my load capacity went up, a lot.... like I carried 42 sheets of 1/2" sheetrock in the back, without bottoming out... and at 54lbs a sheet....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truckn02