Help with wiring please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would you more electrical savvy gents wire up these tinly bolt leds. I want to use them as rock lights. Depending on how bright they are I would like one or two per wheel well. Also want them on a switch obviously.

Now I would say just run a positive and negative from each wire join all negatives and positives and turn them into one wire. And straight to the battery with a switch put in the positive line.

Should I fuse them all? What amp?

Any other obstacles or tips.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These bolt leds 9watts each.

610zMJsQEwL._SX522_.jpg

61UZMMI1xOL._SL1001_.jpg

610zMJsQEwL._SX522_.jpg

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay theres two basic ways of wiring wich is series wiring wich is basically wiring all the bulbs like in chain neg pos neg pos and one end of the chain is positive and the other end hooks up to the negative then there is series wiring wich is i think what you were trying to describe wich is pos to pos neg to neg
im not sure about were to splice them into

kc9dre

Reaction score
LEDs are best parallel. Fuse the positive. Then calculate number of units.

2 per wheel at 9watts per is 72watts. Plus 10% so let's say 80watts of power through the circuit after wires so total amps would be about 5.3 hard to find a fuse for 6 amps though so maybe a 7?

Amps = watts / voltage I based it off of 13.8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

kc9dre

Reaction score
On my truck I have a power point close to the alternator. 5-6 amps cam safely run through a switch without a relay.

There is a power point at the alternator or at a fuse box. Add in line fuse. And a switch of proper rating and your liking. You can ground to the body or run to a single ground point as long as the ground is good.

OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now what about if i wanted to do all 4 wheel wells what would you math come out to with that.

kc9dre

Reaction score
I did the math for all 4 to begin with.

9watts each bulb... 2 bulbs per wheel