help with lighting/electrical/fuse issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rokmonanoff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have an interesting glitch going on with my 06 Denali. We bought this vehicle used about a month ago. My wife said it happened within a couple of days of buying it, but we couldn't get it to duplicate. It has come back now for the last couple of days. I will explain what is going on.

Without turning lights on:
-When I turn on the turn signals, they work fine until I depress the brakes. -The blinker then hesitates and continues functioning

With lights on:
-When I turn on the headlights, all headlights, taillights, and brake lights work fine initially.
-When I turn on the turn signals, two things happen
----they signal at a faster rate (like trying to tell me one is out)
----the mirror signal on the opposite side lights up halfway in addition to the mirror for the signal that is intended lighting up

Additionally, when the lights are turned on...
-When I depressed the brake:
----the tail lights quit being illuminated
----the brake lights do not illuminate
----the 3rd brake light does illuminate
----the turn signals quit flashing, but ...
=====the mirror signals fully illuminate and hold while braking (like the vehicle is trying to compensate for no brake lights)
=====the turn signal arrows on the dash illuminate and hold while braking as well

My initial thoughts were:
-light out somewhere
-fuse
-possible short in the wiring somewhere

I read through a couple of posts on lighting issues, and checked bulbs and fuses, but have not found anything amiss. It's possible that I have missed something. I will recheck all of the bulbs and fuses. If anyone has a specific area to target, that would be awesome.

If you have other possible reasons for this issue, I am all ears. If I can't figure it out in the next day or so, I'll take it to the shop to have them chase down the issue.

Otherwise... WTF?

Thanks,

Rok

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple situations similar to yours. The problem was a bad ground for the tail lights. I think I recall a ground under the truck, in the rear. Might check there.

delta579

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree sounds like a bad ground. Typical in that it's searching for a ground through any unused circuit.

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the lead on this. I will check out this evening and let you know how it goes.

Rok

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ground I was speaking of is on the driver's side, to the rear of the truck. It's a braided ground to the chassis. disconnect it and clean the contact point.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also seen this happen when someone added a 4 pin trailer plug and didn't wire it correctly, or put poor connections on it and one or more of the wires shorted to each other or to a ground.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also might want to check condition of battery (with a load tester etc) and it's connections as a corollary to the above suggestions

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If any of these haven't cured your problem, there's a junction block under the right rear fender. If it has gotten water/dirt/etc. inside, things can get weird. It's amazing what a small thing like a bad connection can do.

That being said, I'm betting a bad ground somewhere.

EJ

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I crawled under to looked at the wires where you guys directed (rear driver side). I couldn't find anything amiss. Wires were all without cracks. Contacts were clean. I cleaned again anyway. I couldn't find anything else worth paying attention to, and my electrical skills are limited.

I took it to the shop. It was the rear "lighting junction box" (correct description?). I never would have figured that out, and likely would have messed more up if I'd tried much else.

It's fixed now and running right.

Wife is happy again :).

Thanks for the help.

Rok

Last edited: