HELP how to figure out if truck had keyless entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregjnolan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so i bought a 2000 tahoe lt, late body style. when i got it from the lady she gave me just one key and told me that was all she had,.. well everything was fine with it utill today i stuck the key in the door unlocked it and when i opeded the door the horn started going off and security light on the dash started flashing, only way i could stop it was to put the key in the ignition and start the truck.. im scared to lock the truck again incase it causes an anti theft and wont let the truck start..
what im wondering is how to tell if the truck originaly had keyless entry and if so then how toget remotes and program them for the truck..

if anyone could help please !!!!!

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has an alarm, it has keyless entry. You can go to the dealer and get one for over $100 or you can get one from ebay-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-CHEVY-G...:2000|Model:Tahoe&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c17e96141
There are more just do a search. Btw, you may want to go by a dealership and ask which remote you need. I believe there are 2 different kinds based on the GM/UTA and FCC ID numbers on the back of the remote.

Last edited:

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's way less than 100 bucks from the delership

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't remember exactly but i got a key, fob, and touch up pen for 118 bucks

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
does it have a red led somewhere on the dash? if not then u most likely dont have an aftermarket alarm but possibly still have factory. go to the dealer and give them your vin and they will tell you if you have one and how much the remote is

RobertWYoung

Reaction score
Mine has a blinking led on the stereo when it's armed ... It's an '04 though.

As far as I know that is the only way to disarm the system once it goes off; to put the key in and start it.

I locked my keys in my truck about a month back and had to wedge the door open and push/pull the lock lever to unlock it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n