Hello

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James417

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am joining this forum for answers on a 2003 Chevy Tahoe I have. I am very happy I found this awesome forum but I'm upset to have to use it for this. I live in Hyde Park NY area and I am very confused as of right now. So I had a 1999 Yukon SLT that I ended up selling to someone and got a 2003 Chevy Tahoe that was a retired fire department chiefs vehicle from a friend who I thought could be trusted. We traded a 600 dollar electronic for it to this "friend" and got the Tahoe. He removed all of the lights and radios and sold them already so it was seriously torn down interior. It need a full tune up from the spark plugs and wires and oil and new air filter to new brake lines and new rotors and pads in the rear as well as new differential cover gasket and axle seals in the rear. Also had rust and rot on doors and passenger side floor pan rotted out. Replaced the floor pan and rust proofed it as well as sanding and bondo and painting the doors. Used proper color code and clear coat so it came out pretty good. Needed new tires and interior trim and new battery as well as work to stop leaks from then mount holes on the roof. I gave it a complete tune up and engine oil flush twice and fixed all of this and much more while waiting for the title that this friend was supposedly sending out for. He kept promising he would have it in the next few weeks. He has been saying "I sent out for it and it should be here in a few weeks" for the last YEAR and 4 months now! I don't know what he is doing or if he is messing with me but I'm sick and tired of waiting. This truck does run and drive perfectly fine as well as the 4WD works perfect. Brand new tires literally paid 700 dollars for the set and its just sitting in the yard. I don't know what to do any more except find someone to buy it for parts or part it out as it looks like I'm not getting any title. It really hurts to say this because I have out so much time and money into this truck. If I had a title all it would need it one rear license plate bulb and a new windsheild it broke unfortunately from the snow and ice last winter. Anyways sorry for this massive intro but as you can see I'm in a pretty awful situation. I wish I could have joined this forum with the intentions on driving it on the road but I'm also trying to save up to get my first big block project car. I can get pictures up if anyone's interested. Please let me know what you think I should do. BTW I have all 0 Gauge power wire big three for a subwoofer car audio build I was going to do but I'm SOL now I guess.
Thanks for any input in advance

Edit DMV has paperwork and title is on its way finally! I can start working on making this the Tahoe ive always wanted.

Last edited:

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well 1st off welcome... here in Georgia you can get a police officer to come run the Vin # to see if it has any leans or is stolen. Take the form he gives you to the tag office and apply for a lost/bonded title. I've done this a couple times for past vehicles.

You won't be able to post in the classifieds here until you have 85 posts.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
Well 1st off welcome... here in Georgia you can get a police officer to come run the Vin # to see if it has any leans or is stolen. Take the form he gives you to the tag office and apply for a lost/bonded title. I've done this a couple times for past vehicles.

Thanks I'll definitely check that out. I'm gonna be calling DMV this after labor day to see what I can do.

SpeedyJuarez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes lost title, keep any text that you can show that he sold it to you. Incase you need to show for legal reasons.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, as long as it's not stolen you can get a title. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score
Yes lost title, keep any text that you can show that he sold it to you. Incase you need to show for legal reasons.

Thanks I'll definitely check that out. I'm gonna be calling DMV this after labor day to see what I can do.

Yep, as long as it's not stolen you can get a title. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hello again just got done talking to DMV and it stil in this guys hands to get the title. I have no clue whether or not he's gonna actually do this but its been well over a year and I was told I should have had it in 4 weeks. I'm sure he is messing with me. Here's the thing. The Tahoe was a fire chiefs truck. It only had a certificate of origin which made it tax exempt so the fire dept didn't have to pay tax as they where volunteer. When this "friend" of mine got the truck in an auction the certificate of origin was signed over to him. So HE hade to go into DMV himself with the certificate of origin and sign the tax exemption papers and file for a title. Not to hard I would think but its been so damn long how could this take over a year and still counting?. And he kept telling me I have the paper work into DMV and the title should be here soon. But he kept repeating himself about more paperwork and more excuses for why he doesn't have the title yet. There's nothing in the system for the truck either yet. So I'm sure I'm being messed with. I don't know what to do other than take legal action or part it off. Damn NY state has to make it so only he can get a title even though the vehicle is in my possession. Complete BS situation right now.
:Frustrated:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

James417

Reaction score

OK I've got good news. Just got paperwork from the guy how sold me the Tahoe and now its a definite the title will be hear in a few weeks. Thank goodness that's over after 1 year and 5 month's. So I guess now I can start working on getting on the road and mods. I need a cat back exhaust through because I removed the factory hoping I could get a super 10 series to install but I realized I can't find any pipe already made for the 2003 Tahoe that's stainless I could fit a super 10 series muffler into from cat back. Anything you know of? I Want a super 10 series sound or at least super 40 sound. I would like dual exits but I also want stainless due to NYS harse winters and rot. I saw a few off brands cheap for like $300 but I'm not sure if I would trust them. Any ideas? BTW I would do long tube headers but I'm not sure if I want to go through the heck of lifting the engine. I heard you have to get new y pipes and lift the engine and wiggle the headers and engine around to make stuff fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxbyukonxl