Heater Hose Blew Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two heater hoses arrived, and I installed them, after greasing the both the 'T' spindles and the heater hose quick-disconnects with 90% silicon. I filled the reservoir with DexCool, let the motor run a bit, as you all recommended, then stopped it and let it cool down, and then added some more DexCool.

I took the truck out for a short drive, taking it easy, and everything appeared to be good. After returning home, I checked all hoses and connectors for leakage, and everything was dry. It looks like I can add some more DexCool to get to the cold fill line on the reservoir, which I will do tomorrow morning.

I want to thank all of you folks for your assistance and guidance with this project, and I learned a lot. I've got 50+ years of experience working on cars, but this is only my second truck, so I'm learning about these trucks on every project.

As Hannibal Smith always said, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Knowledge is power.

JeffL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update.

I replaced both 'T's with new GM 'T's, and it was still a royal PIA. I purchased 2 'quick disconnect' tools, but neither on worked, so I might as well have flushed the money down the toilet and saved the commute time to the parts store. I had to cut all of the quick disconnects with a hacksaw blade to remove them in the method that I previously described. To accomplish this task, I had to stand on a step stool, bend over the passenger side front fender, lean down over the motor, and then twist my upper body to the left, to get my arms in a position to access the 'T's. This was real interesting, to say the least, as I had my left shoulder replaced 8 months ago, and it is still healing.

Needless to say, as an old man, I am sore from finger tips to toes today. I even cut my fingers in 2 places, as a result of having to use the bare hacksaw blade. But, a PIA job needs to have the subsequent aches, cuts, and bruises, in order to justify it being a PIA job. :)

One thing to note for folks performing this task in the future. Wear gloves, as the sound deadening material wrapping the underside of the cowl, over the 'T's has a fiberglass material, similar to old home insulation that gets into your skin, and the back of my hands still itch from the contact with the material.

I've also replaced both radiator hoses and the coolant bypass hose, all of which were original parts on the truck with 2007 date codes. I used new screw clamps, replacing the original spring clamps. I am now waiting delivery of both heater hoses, scheduled for tomorrow.

I have an 02 tahoe 5.3 4x4. She has 300,000 miles and still passes Cali. Smog. No ticks or motor sounds whatsoever. However!! In the last 6 weeks my heater core started leaking, my ac compressor failed and my blower motor died. The heater core is the worst project imaginable. So after pricing all these parts, I decided to just remove all the ac components, climate control front and back, blower motors, heater cores, hoses, wiring harnesses front and rear controls all the way to the fuse boxes. Everything is now gone including every piece of ac component down to the compressor, tensioner, bracket and belt. Everything. She seems to be driving better, at least 70lbs lighter and maybe even a little better mileage. Now I can store a damn sleeping bag in the dash.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 tahoe 5.3 4x4. She has 300,000 miles and still passes Cali. Smog. No ticks or motor sounds whatsoever. However!! In the last 6 weeks my heater core started leaking, my ac compressor failed and my blower motor died. The heater core is the worst project imaginable. So after pricing all these parts, I decided to just remove all the ac components, climate control front and back, blower motors, heater cores, hoses, wiring harnesses front and rear controls all the way to the fuse boxes. Everything is now gone including every piece of ac component down to the compressor, tensioner, bracket and belt. Everything. She seems to be driving better, at least 70lbs lighter and maybe even a little better mileage. Now I can store a damn sleeping bag in the dash.
Well ok then...:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
driller3700