header questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsu_beaux

Reaction score
im wanting to buy headers for my 03 z71 hoe and i dont know where to start, i want longtubes but from what ive read they have fitment issues. Do shorty headers still produce a good bit of power? if not what is a good longtube and y-pipe set up for my vehicle. Thanks

408stkrtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shorty headers wont produce as much as LT's will. A shorty is meant to bolt in place of the manifold. LT's are tighter fit because they are just plain bigger, Ive put kooks on a 11' Charger and they fit good, just a little tighter because they are larger. I will be putting a set of kooks on my Tahoe with a catted y-pipe in the future. But you might get lean codes and cat efficiency codes if you don't have a programmer.

OP
OP
lsu_beaux

lsu_beaux

Reaction score
Yea, i understand theyre are larger and i know for a fact they will fit on a 2wheel drive tahoe i just dont know about them fitting on a z71

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I am not a 4X4 but i run Dynatechs and love them! No issues.

CAResearch

Reaction score
Does anyone make a Carb legal Long header for 4x4 nbs models?

And if not Carb legal, can you tune it post install to make it it pass smog somehow?

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a 4X4 but i run Dynatechs and love them! No issues.

The whole system with the cats too? How much of a difference did you notice? Is it a huge improvement? The LS engines almost seem to have a shorty style manifold to begin with, I'd only be interested in LT's too.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make a Carb legal Long header for 4x4 nbs models?

And if not Carb legal, can you tune it post install to make it it pass smog somehow?

True LT headers on our GMT800 trucks require relocating the cats further back, which violate federal law, so therefore they are not legal in any state and only legal for off-road use. Even in states with no emissions check, if you encounter a state trooper who wants to screw with you and knows the law, he could legaly still ticket/impound you.

With the proper tune, they can easily pass emissions, its just the visual check that fails you.

There are some midlength headers that don't need cat relocation, but they are not true LT's.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Matt06yukon a work off difference , that soun ds perfect to not too loud recipe nice low rumble. yes they're set up with the free flow cats also. IMO worth every penny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reveita42

Latest posts