have to take foot off gas for trans to shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proflashrtist

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So this is a new one. I'm thinking the first place to look is the shift solenoid. When you are driving down the road you need to take pressure off, or take your foot off, the gas or it doesn't or has a hard time shifting. Any ideas?

1995 Yukon

:ehcapt:

ch4d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best case: try replacing the TPS. Middle case: leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit (servo assembly or 1-2 accumulator). Double check by using the pressure gauge and watch for a big drop when the PCM commands 2nd gear. Worst case: poor line pressure rise

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
My explorer does this too.... But when I race it it goes high rpm then upshifts. Does ur ride jerk whenever shifting? Sometimes mine does it aswell

streetscraper1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing, turned out my tranny fluid level was low. Does it feel like its slipping?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Filter is super easy to swap. If its slipping also try some anti slip fluid. It kinda worked for me. Would have worked if the planet thing didn't bust in the trans...

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I hate to ask a stupid question, but when was the last time you changed the transmission oil?

The only reason I ask, is because I had a Toyota with the same problem. So I changed the oil, and the issue went away immediately and it hasn't occurred since (40K later).

letsbangout

Reaction score
So this is a new one. I'm thinking the first place to look is the shift solenoid. When you are driving down the road you need to take pressure off, or take your foot off, the gas or it doesn't or has a hard time shifting. Any ideas?

Aren't 95 Yukons using modified 700R4's (non-electronic trannies)? If they're non-electronic then the Throttle Position Sensor is of no effect, right? What happens when you start out with the gear lever in 1st and shift the lever to 2nd, does it do the same thing or immediately grab 2nd?

Regarding the other advice you were given above about the 1-2 accumulator, it's my understanding that this only cushions the shift - the servo provides positive shift pressure, the 1-2 accumulator provides counteracting pressure. If the accumulator were leaking, shift pressure would only increase, causing neck-snapping shifts. Still while you're in there, go ahead and replace that sucker. It'll cost you all of 20 bucks for a piston, springs and the housing (and you can move it to a new tranny, should you have any trouble with this one in the future). The trickiest part is finding those darned rings - everyone likes to sell them as part of a total rebuild kit, rather than individually. Maybe your local dealer can get them individually. Be sure to pull it down slowly, I've heard you can wreak havoc if you tear the paper plate that it bolts onto (or at least my 99 seems to have one).

Given what I've deduced about your transmission being non-electronic (I've got it in my mind that they didn't get electronics until 96), i'd also have to go with the servo at this point. But I'm no tranny expert!

Last edited:

Monzter Mike

Reaction score
1993 was the first year GM used the 4L60E. They changed the housing & six bolt tail housing somewhere around 95-96.

If you've got a 4x4 & the fluid level is low pull the transfer case FILL plug to see if the transfer case is over filled. When the seal between the transmission & transfer case goes out the transmission fluid will leak into the transfer case, it's a bad leak to because the transmission often burns up because the driver never sees an external leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz