Has anyone attempted an LML or LMM Duramax conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_L

Banned
Reaction score
I believe it should drop right in since its available on the 2500 Pickups, which are pretty much the same from the firewall forward. I've seen LMM's for under $4,000 (plus whatever the Allison costs, around $1100 used, $3200 new built-up), so they're cheaper then a supercharger, and have way more potential. They're so ridiculously easy to make power with. Just tune the damn things and you have like 700hp and 1400ft/lbs. I want one. Legally it'll have to be an LML though. Has to be the same model year as the truck or newer.

:hmmm2:
Time for some more research.

EDIT: Just hit me that there is no AWD transfer case for the Duramax. Crap. Nevermind. I'm not giving up AWD for a diesel.

OP
OP
Mike_L

Mike_L

Banned
Reaction score
I'll have to check with them on Monday and see if they have an AWD transfer case they can use. Got any contact info? Google isn't coming up with a site for them. Thanks.

Ouch, just saw that its $12-16k!! I can build a gas motor with more power for that price.

And I found their contact info. Left a question in their YouTube channel since thats where they seem to be working out of. I'll call also.

Last edited:

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch, just saw that its $12-16k!! I can build a gas motor with more power for that price.

You can make the 5.3 a 383 stroker and put twins on it and at low boost get 900+ hp out of it... Thats my plan with mine.

OP
OP
Mike_L

Mike_L

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 6.2, so I'm thinking LSX454 with low compression pistons and a big Whipple.

OP
OP
Mike_L

Mike_L

Banned
Reaction score
Wonder if that blower would clear the firewall and cowl on the GMT900..... GM had this massive engine bay to put the motor into and they pushed it all the way back under the cowl, with over a foot to spare in front of the motor. I feel like I'm working on a 4th Gen F-Body the way its tucked under there.

Sent KB a message to see what they can do with the L94 Vortec. The 3.6L blower in that article isn't even the big dog. They offer a 4.2L for the Camaro. Whipple offers even bigger then that.

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say stick with the gas , and only because Unless you have a professional Like Duraburb do it I hear it can become a Nightmare getting everything to work right with the new motor and trans

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually considered doing something similar before I bought the Denali. But after talking with a couple of extremely reputable diesel truck shops they recommended NOT starting with what is essentially a half ton SUV. Nothing in the drivetrain would hold up to the low rpm torque a Duramax would put out, even a stock LML. River City Diesel and Fleece Performance recommended starting with a 3/4 ton Suburban which had stronger axles and transfer case, plus beefier cooling system. And consider that the only way GM offered the Duramax was in a 3/4 ton 4wd with torsion bar suspension to support the significant increase in front end weight.
They also both said that if you drop a Duramax/Allison in a Tahoe/Yukon and crank up the boost so you get 600 or 700 lb ft of torque that you'll eventually trash the IRS front diff and axles, and they've seen frames get twisted too. Even stock, an LML puts out 565 lb ft of torque which is a huge 67% increase from stock. And if I'm not mistaken, the LMM was 605, which is getting close to doubling the torque the truck was designed to take.

I may still do a conversion at some point, if I can find the suitable 3/4 ton 4wd Suburban as the donor vehicle. MOst of them had the 6.0 which I could pull and sell to recoup part of the Duramax engine purchase price. I need the extra torque that only a turbodiesel can give in order to pull my trailer. The Denali torque is OK, but I hate pulling grades on the highway at 70mph in 4th gear spinning 3200-3300 rpm. Duramax will do it without breaking a sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84