H2 Coils on 02 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fuzzyimage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the site. Must say a lot of information and glad I found it.

So here is the deal. I have an 02 Tahoe 4x4 w/ Autoride. I am looking to get ride of the autoride and add a few inches. I have the Autoride portion figured out, but adding the height is where I am struggling.

I keep seeing keys, spacers and z71 coils, but has anyone used H2 Coils or even 2500 burb coils?

I do some fairly aggressive trails here in AZ as is and have only ever needed an inch or two more clearance so i like the idea of pushing the keys up to get two inches, but i don't really like the idea of spacers. I would rather go with a full coil. Or is this just me?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
You have nothing to worry about with spacers coming out unless you break something in the rear to cause it all to fall apart. The 2500s came with leaf springs so that swap is out. The H2 does have coils but I can not confirm if they will swap over. The z71 springs came on the denials/escalades too. I have also seen the 07+ coils swap right over. The main difference in coils is at most .5" lift in the rear so you will need spacers. All aftermarket lifts have 4" or 6" coils which is too much for stock controls. The z71 coils have 7 vs stock of 5 coils depending on how you count the turns.

OP
OP
F

fuzzyimage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I read that the 2500 was the same as the H2, but yeah... i just confirmed, leafs not coils.

So from what I have read is that the coils on the Tahoes w/ autoride are shorter than stock LT coils. Does anyone know if this is true?

Where I am going with this is that if in fact the Hoes with Autoride are using a shorter coil than stock LT, will the Z coil net me more than .5"? Like maybe 1"?

Just trying to figure out what size of riser I get if i go that route.

But yeah, if anyone has done the H2 swap please fill me in. I have heard they will net you 2" without risers.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
The LT coils are the same as LS/SLE/SLT and all the same height. Only z71/denalis/escalades have the stiffer longer springs. No the Z coil will not give you 1" at most maybe .5". Get a 1.5" spacer and lift keys.

OP
OP
F

fuzzyimage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks man. good to get some straight up advise. much appreciated.

Since you seem to know... a few more questions for you.

So my front is sitting about 1" lower than the back right now. around 35.5" at the top of the well. Can I bring the front level with the back (back is just under 36.5") and then extend it another two inches? So in essence bring the front up 3" from where it is now? And If I can do that, do I need to worry about the CV angles or anything else 4x4/steering related?

Also, I have 220k on the truck already with stock suspension. Do coils loose there spring in that time? I guess I am just asking if I need to take old coils into account when doing the math to figure how far to bring the rig up.

Lastly, if all goes right and I am able to get the truck up around the 37.5-38" range at the well, do i need to look into longer shocks than the stock length?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Hey also, can i put 07-12 z springs on an 02? did they change them at all?

OP
OP
F

fuzzyimage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks man. It has been a wealth of knowledge. Glad I found it!

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
You can crank your stock keys to match rear level height. You can buy lift keys and crank them which should get you to 3" front lift. The rear springs do not lose height or sag with your miles, if any maybe .25" over the entire lifetime. If you do the NNBS 07-12 springs they should work fine compare a picture of them to the one in my thread located in my sig. With adding 1" over stock height now you should get longer shocks, because they limit the lift height and ride quality is bad. You will probably be concerned about the cv axles because with the additional stress of angles then they make break. Mine were replaced at 190K with lifetime warranty ones so if I break them again its free. My ride sits a 39.5"-40" at the fenders with 33s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jr9688

Latest posts