Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, as for my exhaust plans- I originally wanted the cutout/unmuffled circuit to merge back into the pipe after the muffled circuit and continue over the axle and out the back. Materials and space constraints prevented this, so I just dumped it in front of the axle. Since I now know that the cutout is contributing to the noise, and it's exiting under the cabin, I'm gonna work on getting it tied in and out the back as originally planned, in hopes that this makes it quiet enough inside the cabin. I want the cutout pipe to be as free-flowing as possible, so it can't be necking down into a smaller pipe. Since my Tahoe is lowered, I can't afford to have the over-axle arch any larger than the factory 2.75". Really, I'd like to get a shorter, but wider (oval) pipe for even more clearance. I could simply get a 3" U-bend and hammer the bottom and/or top side(s) to make it 2.75" or less. But, such a pipe is about $30 on Amazon.

I was passing through New Orleans yesterday for work, so I checked FB Marketplace (I use Jenn's account) for take-off exhaust pipes. It didn't take long at all for me to find an ad for a factory '06 LLY exhaust, complete with muffler. It included the factory air intake and filter assembly, all for $50 or best offer. I met up with the guy and, since I had no use for the intake, he offered the exhaust to me for $30. Score! So, now I have plenty of nice quality 3.5" tubing with more bends than I'll ever need. I was even considering using the muffler since I thought mine weren't sufficient, but now I'll try to sell, trade or give it away. Since the pipe is 3.5", I can beat it down to ~2.5" or so high and it'll still flow as well as a 3" pipe.

Pic from seller's ad. I even got the 3.5" band clamp:

View attachment 257448
Heck yeah! Good deal! Looking forward to more pics of the progress! And maybe even some video... [emoji16][emoji106][emoji631]

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yyyyyuuuuuuup. It was exactly what I suspected.

That upper stud broke:

VNQO8754.JPG

It was intermittently getting wedged between the rotor and heads of the lug studs as it bounced and rolled around:

IMG_3043.JPG

Put a few marks on the backside of the rotor. Nothing detrimental:

IMG_3044.JPG

"Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for, for just such an emergency"

IMG_3045.JPG

I bought these spindles used and the studs were broken when they were removed since they're installed with Loctite. I was able to get the remains out fairly easily with Vise Grips after heating the spindle around them. I bought new hardware plus an extra just in case. Well, "in case" happened.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That upper stud broke:

View attachment 257513

It was intermittently getting wedged between the rotor and heads of the lug studs as it bounced and rolled around:

View attachment 257510

View attachment 257511

View attachment 257512

I bought these spindles used and the studs were broken when they were removed since they're installed with Loctite. I was able to get the remains out fairly easily with Vise Grips after heating the spindle around them. I bought new hardware plus an extra just in case. Well, "in case" happened.
Luck favors the prepared.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

That upper stud broke:

View attachment 257513

View attachment 257510

View attachment 257511

View attachment 257512

Why do you have a stud there instead of a bolt?

My Belltech spindles just reuse the factory bolts.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed them the first time per McGaughy's specs, but didn't document any of it. So, this post will serve to do so. Well, at last half of it, so it's probably all void, but, whatever. I don't see how one could use a torque wrench on the nut. So, I went by feel by a fairly trained arm. If these things are so sensitive as to requiring being torqued to 75 ft-lbs with no or extremely little variance, then it's a crap design. I guess I could've stuck my wrench on there and hung 75 pounds of weight on it exactly 12" from the center of the stud, buuuut...

Used my lightly-used, always-returned-to-zero, always-wiped-clean-after-use, never-dropped-or-handled-roughly, never-pulled-past-clicking and calibration-checked-and-certified-by-reputable-independent-lab Matco torque wrench:

IMG_3047.JPG

Set to 25 foot pounds:

IMG_3048.JPG

Adapters used to convert from 1/2" drive to 6mm hex drive:

IMG_3049.JPG

...And torqued slowly and smoothly to 25 ft. lbs. with blue Loctite. McGaughy's instructions just said to install with "Loctite" (actually says "LOCKTITE"), but didn't specify red or blue. I chose to use a lightly excessive amount of blue:

IMG_3050.JPG

This happens once. If it happens again, I'm switching to Belltech spindles.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That upper stud broke:

View attachment 257513

View attachment 257510

View attachment 257511

View attachment 257512

Not even sure how that would happen

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you have a stud there instead of a bolt?

My Belltech spindles just reuse the factory bolts.

The top bolt interferes with the upper ball joint stud and nut and this was McG's solution. I don't know why they didn't just do the same as Belltech. I'll have to look at the back side to see if there's any good reason. Maybe they have the upper ball joint boss positioned lower to help with alignment? There's something goin on with that since BT makes two different spindles- one is for just the 2" drop from the spindles and another has modified geometry to be used with lowering springs, struts, relocators, arms etc. to help with alignment.

Unless I see something that dictates otherwise, I have half a mind to drill the spindle to use that third bolt from the backside. The existing threaded hole is a perfect pilot hole.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I installed them the first time per McGaughy's specs, but didn't document any of it. So, this post will serve to do so. Well, at last half of it, so it's probably all void, but, whatever. I don't see how one could use a torque wrench on the nut. So, I went by feel by a fairly trained arm. If these things are so sensitive as to requiring being torqued to 75 ft-lbs with no or extremely little variance, then it's a crap design. I guess I could've stuck my wrench on there and hung 75 pounds of weight on it exactly 12" from the center of the stud, buuuut...

Used my lightly-used, always-returned-to-zero, always-wiped-clean-after-use, never-dropped-or-handled-roughly, never-pulled-past-clicking and calibration-checked-and-certified-by-reputable-independent-lab Matco torque wrench:

View attachment 257514

Set to 25 foot pounds:

View attachment 257515

Adapters used to convert from 1/2" drive to 6mm hex drive:

View attachment 257516

...And torqued slowly and smoothly to 25 ft. lbs. with blue Loctite. McGaughy's instructions just said to install with "Loctite" (actually says "LOCKTITE"), but didn't specify red or blue. I chose to use a lightly excessive amount of blue:

View attachment 257517

This happens once. If it happens again, I'm switching to Belltech spindles.

Weird, all 3 of my bolts go in from the back side like the factory.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not even sure how that would happen

Same here. Could've just been a defective stud. It makes sense to me to tighten the bottom bolts first so they do most of the locating, then tighten the nut on the stud, so that's what I did. The hub sits inside of that hole in the spindle, so that supports most of the weight, just like the lip inside the bore of the wheel does most of the centering/locating rather than the lug studs.

If it can't withstand my driving, then it doesn't belong on my vehicle.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked at the backside of the spindle:

IMG_3054.JPG

That whole area is much too beefy to use a bolt. Maybe that upper ball joint boss is relatively lower than where it is on the Belltech? I don't know and I'm not much concerned.

On another note, I finally remembered to measure how much drop these things actually give. Measuring from the top surface of where the lower ball joint stud goes in, up to the center of the frontmost hub bolt (this was the easiest place to fit my tape measure), I got 5.125". Measuring the stock spindle at the same location, I got 3.375". This is a 1.75" difference- exactly what I measured when I dropped it.

Anyone with some Belltech spindles, preferably model #2511, care to measure theirs?

Here's where I measured (edited interweb pic):

IMG_E3056.JPG

I butted the end of my tape measure to the top of that lower ball joint surface and went straight up to the center of that hub bolt hole (or center of the bolt head).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfire