Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular reason why 13.677 gallons?

Because 13/6/77- The 13th day of June in 1977. It was the day that James Earl Ray was recaptured.

Lolnahseriouslythough, it was an even $35 and about half a tank. Felt like a good stopping point to me. I was gonna do $30 but got sidetracked and went over so I went to the next $5 increment. It also being about half a tank satisfied my OCD. Unless I'm on a road trip, I just get 1/4 to 1/2 a tank cuz it sits so much. This way, I'm always getting fresh gas.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternator delivered, three days late.

As expected, it was almost out of the box. I was half-expecting a broken mounting ear. The pulley (actually the clutch) was the part almost protruding, but still covered in bubble wrap:

IMG_5646.JPG

It seems fine, but has a very slight wobble. It spins smoothly and the clutch works. If the clutch wasn't such a PITA requiring special tools, I'd remove it and check the shaft for runout. I'm gonna spin my current one and see if there's any wobble in hopes it's something common and harmless. No dents in the edge of the clutch. I'd think a hit hard enough to bend the shaft would put a sizeable ding in the clutch shell. I'm gonna look for good pics of that center cap removed to see if the shell is as thin as I think it is to confirm my theory/hopes:

IMG_5652.JPG

Part number 13539728:

IMG_5655.JPG

I'll probably chop this ear off. Or, keep it and repurpose the bracket mounted to it somehow. Maybe a catch can bracket for that factory-original effect?

IMG_5656.JPG

I see the harness plug as a bonus. I'd like longer wires, but these are workable should I need them:

IMG_5651.JPG

Ad said 6,000 miles on this unit. I believe it.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As expected, it was almost out of the box. I was half-expecting a broken mounting ear. The pulley (actually the clutch) was the part almost protruding, but still covered in bubble wrap:

View attachment 398801

It seems fine, but has a very slight wobble. It spins smoothly and the clutch works. If the clutch wasn't such a PITA requiring special tools, I'd remove it and check the shaft for runout. I'm gonna spin my current one and see if there's any wobble in hopes it's something common and harmless. No dents in the edge of the clutch. I'd think a hit hard enough to bend the shaft would put a sizeable ding in the clutch shell. I'm gonna look for good pics of that center cap removed to see if the shell is as thin as I think it is to confirm my theory/hopes:

View attachment 398802

Part number 13539728:

View attachment 398803

I'll probably chop this ear off. Or, keep it and repurpose the bracket mounted to it somehow. Maybe a catch can bracket for that factory-original effect?

View attachment 398804

I see the harness plug as a bonus. I'd like longer wires, but these are workable should I need them:

View attachment 398805

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 398801

View attachment 398802

Part number 13539728:

View attachment 398803

View attachment 398804

View attachment 398805

Reminds me of an OEM water pump I ordered from Summit. I received it, and there were several holes in the box. There was a slight dent on the end of the large hose flange. That thing got kicked around pretty good, to cause damage there, where the flare was! After speaking with them, finding out they had no substitute, I went with it, after they promised to make it right if I had any problems.. whaddya know. After installation, the sucker leaked. I’m glad it revealed it’s faults right away, not 10k after being installed.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's about what I was picturing. It being a few days late, I thought for sure it was cuz it got hung up somewhere in the journey cuz the box tore open and alternator fell from at least waist high. It came from Tyler, TX. Its time in transit was doubled, possibly meaning it was subjected to twice the movement/abuse.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this is a cluster. This alt has a totally different mounting arrangement than what I need. I went off the seller's description, which listed a part number of an alt that has the correct fitment. Their pics just showed the sticker on the alt so I didn't bother to dig deeper. Not when I had such a bōner for the super low mileage. Between the description discrepancy and their poor packaging leading to shipping damage, I emailed the seller requesting replacement or refund. On to the pics-

The original alt is like "Tab A" that goes inside "Slot B" of the accessory bracket on the engine. The new alt has the "Slot B" arrangement:

IMG_5668.JPG

So, it'd be like this:

IMG_5669.JPG

Which is basically this:

deadpool-funny.gif

Also, the main lug interferes with the EVAP purge pipe:

IMG_5671.JPG

Other comparison photos just cuz:

IMG_E5666.JPG

IMG_E5667.JPG

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your eyes are not deceiving you. The pulley on the new alt is smaller.

Stock:

IMG_5660.JPG

New:

IMG_5662.JPG

I just kinda eyeballed it, but I think the center of the pulley is located further away from the mounting points to make up for the smaller diameter. Worse case, I bet I could make it work. But I'm not interested in such a project and it'd be too easy to screw up and then I'd be plagued with belt wear and/or noise issues. I hope the seller does the right thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bos7414