Grinding, but "Performing as Designed"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WashingtonTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 3100 miles on my 2015 Tahoe LS. When gently turning left, in motion or starting from a stop, in situations that torque the chassis 'just right', a grinding noise can be heard in the cabin and felt in the floorboard.
I took the vehicle to the dealer and drove the service manager to the intersection on my daily commute the repeatably produces the noise and demonstrated. He heard it, he drove and duplicated the anomaly himself. I left the vehicle with them. Two days later the dealership stated they could not find anything and had contacted GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC). At TACs suggestion, the dealership took another new Tahoe to the same location and duplicated the anomaly. Because of that, the dealership told me to take the Tahoe home and GM would send out an engineer to investigate.
Three weeks later he arrived and drove my vehicle as well as others at the dealership. They duplicated the anomaly 15 times. With his laptop attached to the vehicle, they determined the anomaly was occurring when the Traction Control system would momentarily engage while executing the turn resulting in the grinding.
Because they were able to duplicate the problem on multiple vehicles, their official stand is the vehicle is performing as designed and GM is not going to pursue a resolution. I countered that I understand the vehicles are performing as designed, but obviously the grinding would indicate the design is flawed. No engineer would intentionally design the system to grind when turning left. The Service Manager simply reiterated, "I'm sorry Sir, there is nothing I can do, the vehicle is performing as designed."

Anyone else stumbled upon this problem?

To get your vehicle to misbehave, look for a flat left hand turn from one road to another with a slight crown. Make a gentle turn (left hand positioned as 12 o'clock and moving to 7 o'clock). Speed can be anywhere from 17 to 27 mph. Stay off the brakes so the suspension doesn't load forward. The key is finding a transition that results with a slight unloading of the suspension while the vehicle slightly drops to the right. The grind will occur as you pass the centerline of the road you are turning on to.I can recognize intersections at a glance now that will do it.
Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Sorry about the long post!
Steve

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
I have 3100 miles on my 2015 Tahoe LS. When gently turning left, in motion or starting from a stop, in situations that torque the chassis 'just right', a grinding noise can be heard in the cabin and felt in the floorboard.
I took the vehicle to the dealer and drove the service manager to the intersection on my daily commute the repeatably produces the noise and demonstrated. He heard it, he drove and duplicated the anomaly himself. I left the vehicle with them. Two days later the dealership stated they could not find anything and had contacted GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC). At TACs suggestion, the dealership took another new Tahoe to the same location and duplicated the anomaly. Because of that, the dealership told me to take the Tahoe home and GM would send out an engineer to investigate.
Three weeks later he arrived and drove my vehicle as well as others at the dealership. They duplicated the anomaly 15 times. With his laptop attached to the vehicle, they determined the anomaly was occurring when the Traction Control system would momentarily engage while executing the turn resulting in the grinding.
Because they were able to duplicate the problem on multiple vehicles, their official stand is the vehicle is performing as designed and GM is not going to pursue a resolution. I countered that I understand the vehicles are performing as designed, but obviously the grinding would indicate the design is flawed. No engineer would intentionally design the system to grind when turning left. The Service Manager simply reiterated, "I'm sorry Sir, there is nothing I can do, the vehicle is performing as designed."

Anyone else stumbled upon this problem?

To get your vehicle to misbehave, look for a flat left hand turn from one road to another with a slight crown. Make a gentle turn (left hand positioned as 12 o'clock and moving to 7 o'clock). Speed can be anywhere from 17 to 27 mph. Stay off the brakes so the suspension doesn't load forward. The key is finding a transition that results with a slight unloading of the suspension while the vehicle slightly drops to the right. The grind will occur as you pass the centerline of the road you are turning on to.I can recognize intersections at a glance now that will do it.
Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Sorry about the long post!
Steve

I don't have a 15 but that seems a little phucked up, that he would just cut you down like that and leave you hanging with no real explanation..I'm right with you, it may be "as designed" but why the hell would they design it intentionally to shake...doesn't make sense

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
waiting for the recall like...

Popcorn_zps0f76dd87.gif

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to see all these problems everybody else is encountering. I have 26k miles on mine as of yesterday and haven't had the first issue.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to see all these problems everybody else is encountering. I have 26k miles on mine as of yesterday and haven't had the first issue.

Fanboi!!

j/k ccouldn't resist!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88