Good 'ol Knock Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Yukon 4.8l threw a PO332 code - the infamous knock sensor code. Our trucks have 2 sensors under the intake - I snapped a few pics. Its an easy job but I could tell it was a dealer money maker, so like always when I do a job I get curious about how much money I am saving. I called Duke Chevy asked for a quote and received one.... $600-$850. That's crazy. It cost me $150 in parts that's 2 OEM knock sensors, Fel Pro high quality metal intake gasket and new wire harness, all available on Amazon Prime.

I snapped a few pics to share, the job itself is simple and enough videos on youtube if you need them. I though Id let you see how filthy it gets under your intake and how one sensor looked like a relic taken from the ocean floor.

The leak-prone harness caps are now sealed with RTV (See the water in the cap of sensor 2 in the "dirty" pic)

After all the new parts installed my MPG went back up, if you don't know the PO332 code causes your engine timing to retard and your MPG takes a hit. Mine was affected quite a bit, went from 19 down to 14....I'm back up to 19mpg

If anyone needs help with this job just pm me.

image_1.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_4.jpg

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job on the sensor replacement and the clean up.
Now get your self a catch can.

Then run a full can of seafoam in your gas for the next 5-10 fill ups. it will clean up a lot of the mess in those intake ports.

I have to do my knock sensors as well. Looks like I will have a few cans of B-12 ready to do intake and port clean up.

LOL! Ron, you beat me by just a few seconds.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is that not my job, doug?

Also, forgot to say, good job on using OE parts and the Felpro gasket set. Did he use the OE harnesses or Dorman? The Dorman is great too.

I read somewhere that when sealing the harness caps to not do all the way around. To just do the front and around to within about a 1/2" gap at the rear of the cap. Have you heard of that and if so, why do it that way?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that not my job, doug?

Also, forgot to say, good job on using OE parts and the Felpro gasket set. Did he use the OE harnesses or Dorman? The Dorman is great too.

I read somewhere that when sealing the harness caps to not do all the way around. To just do the front and around to within about a 1/2" gap at the rear of the cap. Have you heard of that and if so, why do it that way?

Thanks guys. Yeah I did more cleaning after pics.... Also use sea foam.

Yes I used the Dorman harness. Nice tight cap fit.

I read the tsb the GM engineers said to leave a gap in the rtv. I say they are the same peeps that designed the crappy leak prone knock sensor area so I said screw it mine are completely sealed. I know several people that have complete seal jobs with no issues. I am actually guessing that they wanted you to leave a gap so you would have a pry point or vent .... I have no clue for sure.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Good job on the sensor replacement and the clean up.
Now get your self a catch can.

Then run a full can of seafoam in your gas for the next 5-10 fill ups. it will clean up a lot of the mess in those intake ports.

I have to do my knock sensors as well. Looks like I will have a few cans of B-12 ready to do intake and port clean up.

LOL! Ron, you beat me by just a few seconds.

Catch Can?

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What!? you can do a good knock sensor swap but dont know about catch cans? Well, then.
Lets look and see what we have, Here! :hmmm2:

Buy me

Lol something's in life elude me lol. Reading now.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Yeah.... Seen them, never used one. Which is weird as **** as I can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10